Scubapro R290 v R390

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassie Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, what are the technical differences between the R290 and the R390.

I'm aware of the different purge and VIVA setups but are they otherwise the same internally?

LOL

The correct comparision would be between the R190 and R290.

But otherwise you are correct, the R290 is similar to the R190 but uses a two piece purge cover and does not have a diver adjustable VIVA control. Other than that they are identical.

The R380/R390 are functionally identical to the R190 but in a smaller case.

In Oz, we only have the R290 and R390 available (I believe). I'm looking at mating one of these second stages with a Mk16 for use on a sling/pony bottle. I had an idea that they were basically similar but there is a reasonable price difference between the two and I wanted to know if there was an internal difference to justify the expense of the R390.

I already dive a G250HP and have no problem with the centre purge so didn't see a lot of advantage in the R390.

LOL

Okay, you mean the difference between the full size unbalanced 2nd stage and the compact one, correct? What I have heard from a number of people is that the compact 2nd stage, (390) does not breathe quite as well. DA aquamaster has posted about this before, if you do a search you'll come up with it.

I have the R190; just bought a G250. (old one) My R190 is lighter than the G250; it's a noticable difference. So, if you're thinking about comfort by spending the bucks for the (supposedly) lighter 390, and you're used to the G250, probably not worth it. Also, the smaller 390 displaces less water; negating the weight difference.

Back
Top Bottom