Scubapro R190

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perryed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an older Scubapro R190 and it is missing the housing plug Part #11300037. Can`t find one of them anywhere. I found S Part #210801121 called a Housing insert on E-Bay and was wondering if any of you dive nerds out there would know if these are the same parts. The reg seems to work OK without it but I would rather have it than not. Especially as the E-Bay part is only $6 or so.

Thanks! Perry

The housing insert #210801121 will not help you, it is not the same as plug #11300037.

Thanks! Do you know where I could get the housing plug #111300037? And is it necessary for the proper function of the reg?

I don't know source on the housing plug. Perhaps another DIYer with access to SP parts will read this , or check with a local SP dealer in your area?

I have noticed a new rubber plug has to be pushed into place and then expands a little to hold in place, but the rubber on older plugs becomes hard as it ages and so does not expand to hold in place very well after being re installed. On a personal R190, I used a tiny dab of adhesive to keep an old plug from falling out. In my limited experience with the plug, it seems like it should be a replacement part included in overhaul kits since it looses functionality from age.

As to using the regulator without the plug, both aspirator holes open. I have not tried, but suppose the different airflow pattern could be noticeable, especially if at depth and breathing heavily from the regulator. As basic as the plug is, it could be homemade from a whittled down small piece of rubber and a dab of adhesive. Or perhaps even a substitute could be found by combing the bins of doodads at the hardware store. Not recommending any of that, but if the regulator was mine and I could not find an original replacement plug...

Thanks Kupu. I didn`t even know what the plug was made of. I think I can rig something up. This would just be an octo anyway. Hopefully never to be used except to make sure it works. And I agree, it should be in the rebuild kit.

I found a plug in a bag of old parts, looks to be in usable condition. PM me your mailing address and I will send it to you.

I can't remember, but did I make a plug from a seat?
That sounds like a perfect solution.

The plug I found today is a better version than the one that gave me problem in the past. This one is different material, more like plastic than rubber, and shaped in a way that it cannot fall out once the housing has been re installed.

Nah! I'm fantasizing and overstating my capabilities to the customer, once again
I just pulled one apart, and certainly I would punch a plug out of a sheet of rubber

and certainly knowone isn't going to die from any air flow changes until you get one

or from some compliant plastic as I type perfect would be some of my monprene scrap

I don't believe that plug is necessary-however it is common to the r190/r380/r290/r390 etc. so it should not be too difficult to source. In addition to increasing the venturi effect toward the mouthpiece, it may prevent some gas from escaping out of the exhaust. You can probably make a plug by cutting an o-ring with a large cross section (1/4 inch/ 0.225") such as a -425.

Edit with a note I copied from one of the manuals:

"Note: There are two aspirator holes in
the housing. The housing plug should
be in the aspirator hole AWAY from the
mouthpiece if the regulator is set up as
a right hand second stage."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom