ScubaPro Quick Release Mouthpiece Clamp or zip ties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Open Ocean Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wondering what other divers opinions are on quick release mouthpiece clamps from Scubapro, verses zip ties or any other types of clamps for mouthpieces.

Just read this thread:

My buddy's mouthpiece came of during the dive.

If you like to prevent this from happening then:

✔ Before the dive, give your mouthpieces a good pull to see they don't come of.
✔ Use cable-ties that are as wide as the groove on the mouthpiece.
✔ Use cable-ties that don't deteriorate due to sunlight. White cable-ties often weaken faster then black once.

Yesterday during a dive my buddy's mouthpiece came of from the demand valve.

It panicked him yet he directly came to me for my alternate airsource. Due to the stress he placed the alternate airsourse upside down in his mouth. Because of this the regulator leaked water in to his mouth while he was breathing from it. I decided to ascend without delay without trying to turn his regulator around because I believed taking it from his mouth could have panicked him even more. We got to the surface and things were ok.

We were at approx 14 meter of depth and the diver had 17 dives.

In 30 years of diving I've seen mouthpieces coming off before. Now twice in my career I have seen this leading to panic, probably because all at once the diver breathes in water and might feel the need to cough. It is more stressful then just running out of air because that is something you can feel coming and it does not involve water entering your mouth.

Of course the only thing you need to do to solve this situation is switch to an alternative airsourse, you could even switch to your own alternate airsourse since your tank is still full of air.

But this are all split second realizations to be made by a diver who just took a breath of water and feels like coughing.

FURTHER TRAINING

If the idea of your mouthpiece coming off sounds scary to you, it might be a good idea to simulate it in chest deep water.

Cut the cable-tie, leave the mouthpiece loosely on the demand valve, now breath from it under water and shake your head a bit or pull the demand valve till the mouthpiece comes.

Then try to calmly switch to your alternative airsourse, or put the mouthpiece back on the demand valve and continue breathing.

Do it a few times till you feel confident.

A mouth piece coming of is not a dangerous situation as long as the diver calmly solves the issue. Yet Panic could kill a diver on any dive. So invest in your skills and confidence. Don't let this be an issue for you.

I like the SP ones but if you change the mouth piece like I do it may not be as tight as it is with the horrible SP one.

A question, what alt (octo) did this diver have that he went for his buddy rather than use one that is attached to himself?

I like the SP ones but if you change the mouth piece like I do it may not be as tight as it is with the horrible SP one.

A question, what alt (octo) did this diver have that he went for his buddy rather than use one that is attached to himself?
My favourite mouthpiece is the atomic I put it on everything.

I think the lack of practice and panic sets in.

I use the reusable SP mouthpiece clamps on many of my regulators. In fact, every one they will work on....

I like them.

YMMV

(P.S. - apparently, the US ones still have the metal "hook" while the Non-US ones have a plastic "hook".)

First off good job taking care of your dive buddy

Different brand but my Apeks sets come with a quick release clamp but I wouldn’t call them a quick apply. I’ve had to replace my mouthpiece on a moving dive boat and was grateful that, along with an extra mouthpiece, I include zip ties in my boat kit. The Apeks clamps can be very finicky to reapply in your lap on a moving boat. I do like them for at least making the release easy.

I am cognizant of where the release is and make sure it’s placed on the hose side so it’s protected somewhat from accidental release during gear handling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom