Scubapro octo and Apeks primary - servicing issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to diving and am slowly buying the gear. I have been offered a set of 2nd hand regs which comprise an Apeks TX40 primary second stage, a Scubapro R190 octopus, an Apeks 1st stage and a consol with Oceanic compass, Namron Divemaster II spg and Oceanic USA depth guage.

The price seems fair, but I know I have to add on the price of a full service and I wonder if having different brands would increase the cost (i.e. charges for both Apeks and Scubapro service kits or whatever)? Also, the spg is oil filled and there is a large bubble under the glass - is that okay (seems it might make it more difficult to read when diving)? Last thing, the hose to the consol is much narrower than others I have seen and I just wonder if that is also pretty standard - again not something I remember seeing before?

PS. will be doing mainly cold water, UK diving and do hope to go on to advanced and rescue in the future.

Thanks for any comments.

you shouldn't combine different brands of first and second stages. every company has differnt specifications which usually only vary little (pressure they work with) but may do result in a piece not working properly. warranties are usually voided too in case of system failure. i would recomend buying an apeks octupus to avoid the issue.
different brand consoles do not matter. hope i could help you.

I disagree with garfieldshome. The majority of brands of regulators have recomended intermediate pressures(forgive me buts its not quite 5 am and the number eludes me). The pressure recomended by Apeks and SP are complimentary. (poor wording but again its 5am and no coffe yet) The service tech will install a rebuild kit in your apeks first stage, set the IP then install a rebuild kit into your apeks second stage. Hook the two regs together and check for freeflow. Once the second stage is adjusted so there is no bubbling under water, it is attached to a magnahelic gauge (gauge that reads very slight pressure and vacum read in inches of water). Now the crack pressure on your second stage will be adjusted to ~1.1-1.5 inh2o. This is what gives your regs the good natural breathing feeling. Tech will then install a rebuild kit for the SP reg (one service kit for every stage of regulation so it doesnt matter you can have one of each brand) and repeat the steps followed above except set the crack pressure to around 2.0 inh20 so its harder for the reg to free flow.

hth

Mixing Apeks and Scubapro regs is not a problem other than finding a shop that can service the "kit". Most regs operate well in an IP range of 130 to 140 psi. Cost should not be effected. Bubbles in an SPG are a problem - it is dying. Scubapro markets a smaller diameter HP hose so I'm sure other must. If the price is still good after you consider service cost and a replacement SPG, go for it. There are lots of great opportunities for used kits at vwery good prices. If you spend some time on ebay, you can get a feel for the value of used regs.

I agree mixing brands is not a problem (other than finding one shop that can do both) as just everyone uses the same intermediate pressure range of 120-145 psi which allows almost any second stage to be successfully tuned to just about any first stage.

But as indicated above, mixing Scubapro and Apeks is just not right. It would be like a cat happily cohabitating with a dog - it's an act against nature that is no doubt illegal in most southern states, and is probably also a majpr cause of global warming.

DA Aquamaster:
I agree mixing brands is not a problem (other than finding one shop that can do both) as just everyone uses the same intermediate pressure range of 120-145 psi which allows almost any second stage to be successfully tuned to just about any first stage.

But as indicated above, mixing Scubapro and Apeks is just not right. It would be like a cat happily cohabitating with a dog - it's an act against nature that is no doubt illegal in most southern states, and is probably also a majpr cause of global warming.

I don't think the southern states would really give a damn. Ice is something you put in tea and bourbon. We know better than to swim in it - without the bourbon anyway.

awap:
I don't think the southern states would really give a damn. Ice is something you put in tea and bourbon. We know better than to swim in it - without the bourbon anyway.
I am from the south also; have question about ice. I am only familiar with ice as a solid, you know that stuff you add to bourbon and branch, how does one swim in a solid? Can someone please clarify? Now that I live in Florida, with lots of snowbirds, they also tell me that anything below 70 (air) is not considered cold. Next thing you know some snowbird is going to tell me anything below 86 (water - diving or swimming) is not cold either!!!

awap:
... Bubbles in an SPG are a problem - it is dying...

Not true. We use oil filled gauges in our fill station. All have large bubbles in them. They've been like that for about 8 years now. I also have a new regulator for my kegerator - oil filled gauges with bubbles. The bubble is there to allow for expansion of the oil due to temperature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom