Scubapro not having environmentally sealed first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samtau

Registered
Reaction score
New diver looking to buy a regulator been doing a lot of research across brands and levels. Reviewed atomics Aqualung apeks and scubapro. The one I am considering the most is the scubapro MK25 Evo with a g260 second stage. I will be diving in tropical water but live in the Midwest and the local diving area is a Old Quarry. What are the real concerns about no environmental seal on the scubapro first stages?

There are no really big concerns other than some abrasive contamination wearing on the internal chrome surfaces that the piston seals against. If you want Scubapro and sealed look at the MK17, it’s a diaphragm type, if you want a sealed piston type go Atomic.

Not being environmentally sealed and wear on the parts is what I am concerned with. But I know there is a ton of regulators that are not sealed that are being used today. So I guess what I'm really asking is how often do you have to dive before it becomes an issue of your first stage wearing down because it's not environmentally sealed.

Not being environmentally sealed and wear on the parts is what I am concerned with. But I know there is a ton of regulators that are not sealed that are being used today. So I guess what I'm really asking is how often do you have to dive before it becomes an issue of your first stage wearing down because it's not environmentally sealed.
With good rinsing, 10 to 20 years

hat I'm really asking is how often do you have to dive before it becomes an issue of your first stage wearing down because it's not environmentally sealed.
A guess?Close to every day. As mentioned the MK17 is a good alternative, every diaphragm reguator on the market is sealed by design - the moving parts are beneath the diaprhagm.

If you want a sealed piston - look at Atomic. Started by 2 ex-Scubapro engineers who thought they had a better idea. I was all set to buy a MK25/S600 once till my dealer showed mea B2.

Simply effortless breathing across their enntire line - the difference is mostly the material the reg is made of. And the optional swivel hose which adds $100.

any reg of theirs with a 3 designation Z3, T3) is designed to go 3 years between service intervals.
Over the long term that saves you money even if you can still get Free Parts for Life from Scubapro (Only if you buy a whole gear package) since labor not parts is the expensive part of any shop service.

IIRC a B2 prices substantially less than a Mk25/anyrhing.

A non-environmentally sealed first stage is not inherently bad. There are hundreds of thousands of non sealed first stages being used on a regular basis with zero issues. The materials are designed to be flooded with saltwater that contains a moderate level of particulates. As long as you rinse regularly (as you should with any reg) it's a non issue. I might go as far as to say, even if you don't rinse them, it's a non issue but that's not good practice.

I would take a Mk25 over any other Scubapro regulator. Scubapro has made its reputation on high-performance piston regulators and it doesn't make a lot of sense to go with a different design for a perceived benefit that is moot in the real world.

If you want a sealed first stage, I would look at the Aqualung/Apeks lines or copies thereof.

I went to an environmentally sealed reg in 1980 when I bought a Sherwood, that was before anyone was interested in sealing regs. No grease, mess, or extra charges for service. I still use the reg on my pony, since I upgraded to a 2010 Sherwood Blizzard.

They may not be on everyone's A list, but they are good solid regs.

Bob

You won't have any issues with the MK25 EVO and G260. I've been diving variations of this reg for several years in cold water (Great Lakes) and never had an issue. I have 4 now and had 5 at one point.

I might go as far as to say, even if you don't rinse them, it's a non issue but that's not good practice.
I'd beg to differ. Soaking, to dissolve salt crystals, and thorough rinsing to remove particulates is critical if you want your reg to last as long as my Mk10 from 1985.
20171107_111344.jpg
20171107_111105.jpg
20171107_110416.jpg

As a service technician, I can tell you that both soaking and rinsing (really, flushing) unsealed piston regs is critical.
My regs are Atomic piston (sealed), Sherwood piston (sealed), Deep 6 diaphragm (sealed), SP Mk17 diaphragm (sealed), Aqualung diaphragm (sealed).
I also dive a Mk5 and a Mk10 with do-it-yourself SPEC boots (DIY SPEC Boot) just to show it's possible. But I dive an unsealed Mk25 only in pool classes because my LDS sells Scubapro (and Atomic). Scubapro's abandonment of the SPEC boot was, from a service standpoint, a GREAT move! You can sell new regs every 10-15 years instead of once in a dive career.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom