ScubaPro Model Numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been out of diving for awhile and never really looked at SB in the first place. ( Used to have a Mares MR12 Axis )

I've been offered a used MK25/S555 (with some unspecified octo and 3 gauge console .. presumably SPG, Depth and Compass ).

I'm not sure how SB works. I think MK25 represents the first stage which seems to be a balanced piston and I assume the S555. Do they just change the model numbers every year and it's similar to the S600?

What's the magical decoder ring that I need to understand?

No magical decoder ring. Research. Tons of info on web. Lots from Scubapro and Scubapro Museum (use Google). They do not repackage the same model with a new name every year. Some major differences, and some minor differences over the years. The MK 25 is a top of the line 1st stage. No experience with the second stages you mention. Research. It's not rocket science, but there are many important details. Google will provide much information and even more opinion, and you can get lost in the maze of info. Research. Ask people, but remember that there are lots of people with a vested interest and an army of jerks out there. You have to do your own research.

Gee, thanks, I guess.

I was searching but didn't find much except for a fight in a DIR forum on who was allowed to list gear for sale. I searched the ScubaPro site and got 0 hits. Then I downloaded a User Manual (PDF) and found what I needed. It seems their site doesn't index their documents. #FAIL

So I guess what I'm really wondering: Is this a decent deal for $400. It's a used set from a local dive shop and haven't seen what condition it's in. I'll assume fair / divable.

i sold a s555/mk25 for 395 ( just serviced with receipt for proof ) with no spg/compass. use that as a gauge. The s555 IS THE s600 without the manual flow adjustment ( does have predive/dive adjustment. ) In fact, it can be converted to an s600 at next service interval easily..... Nice setup enjoy it if you decide to purchase

Gosh, you're welcome, I think. I just, out of curiosity, googled Scubapro Mk 25 and got 244,000 hits. Narrowing the criteria to 'evaluations', 'opinions', 'quality', 'comparisons with' 'used' and hundreds of other qualifiers will refine the data. The central question, the value of a combination of gear sight unseen with no clear indication of condition for any of the components, is impossible to answer.

You can see the price of some equipment easily. Mk 25 first stages go for around $350 new, around $200 used in excellent condition. Din costs more than yoke. If a second stage is discontinued you can still find out what it sold for when new. You can also check ebay to see not only what the prices for currently available items are, but also what others sold for in the recent past. Dealing with a combination package that may contain new and discontinued items, with condition unclear at best, has too many unknowns and variables. Have all items been newly serviced? Just that one issue will make a big difference in value and total actual price.

$400 is not an unreasonable price but you can get just as good of a Scubapro regulator (better in some ways) for about half that price if you are willing to look at older models. In the vintage you are now considering, I would look for an S600 or G250HP rather than the S555, both of which add the user adjustable feature.

If its serviced recently $400 seems to be more or less depending on the condition of the reg. If it is not serviced add another 100-150 for the service as you will be paying for the parts and labour.
For that money I would consider buying a new set :)

I used and not serviced reg would be a big no no as you never know the reg history.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom