Scubapro Mk25/s600 Ul (ultralight)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elbuzo

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone Had A Problem With This "ultralight" Regulator?

I Have One Since 3 Years Ago And I Face Constantly The Problem That The Yoke Screw Became Welded .
Seems That The Material Used By Scubapro Is Prone To Some Kind Of Corrosion That Makes Imposible To Unscrew The Yoke.

Also I Noticed That Scubapro Is No Longer Offering That Regulator That Once Was Their Top Of The Line.

I Will Appreciate Any Comments About You Experiences.

Gracias

El Buzo

The all aluminum UL first stage had the potential for dissimilar metal corrosion issues to a greater degree than the average reg (chrome plated brass is hard to beat for longevity) The UL also used aluminum in places where it was possible to overtorque the plugs and various fittings.

Scubapro has replaced it with the Mk 25 SA. This first stage uses stainless steel in the yoke, yoke retainer, swivel and seat retainer to eliminate the dissimilar corrosion issues as the mated surfaces are both stainelss. The SS turrent also eliminates the need for plastic washers between the port plugs and the turret.

It is only an once or two heavier than the UL and is a much more durable reg. If you look at it from a price standpoint, the Mk 25 SA is still not their top of the line reg as the titaniaum Mk 25 T costs a lot more. But in my opinion, the Mk 25 SA is a lot smarter was to go.

Thanks Aquamaster.
Do you know if Scubapro made a product recall with their ul regulators ?

El buzo

QUOTE=DA Aquamaster]The all aluminum UL first stage had the potential for dissimilar metal corrosion issues to a greater degree than the average reg (chrome plated brass is hard to beat for longevity) The UL also used aluminum in places where it was possible to overtorque the plugs and various fittings.

Scubapro has replaced it with the Mk 25 SA. This first stage uses stainless steel in the yoke, yoke retainer, swivel and seat retainer to eliminate the dissimilar corrosion issues as the mated surfaces are both stainelss. The SS turrent also eliminates the need for plastic washers between the port plugs and the turret.

It is only an once or two heavier than the UL and is a much more durable reg. If you look at it from a price standpoint, the Mk 25 SA is still not their top of the line reg as the titaniaum Mk 25 T costs a lot more. But in my opinion, the Mk 25 SA is a lot smarter was to go.[/QUOTE]

elbuzo:
Thanks Aquamaster.
Do you know if Scubapro made a product recall with their ul regulators ?

That should be covered under the lifetime parts warantee. You did purchase it fron an authorized ScubaPro dealer, didn't you?

No recall from SP as it is not really defective or a hazard, it is just a design that is going to potentially generate ongoing maintainence issues, particularly if it is not lubed, torqued, and assembled correctly.

As Scubakeydm points out, if you are the original owner and got it from an authorized scubapro dealer, they will have to deal those maintence issues under warranty. If you have had it serviced every year and kept the warranty current, you are in great shape.

If you have not kept the warranty current you will have to pay for parts for the next service to re-instate the warranty and that could get a little spendy if they screw up the reg body. Most likely though it is just the yoke nut that will get maimed in the disasembly process and that is not too expensive to replace. And then of course with the warranty re-instated, the parts are SP's problem during future annual services.

I normally look for good deals on SP regs on E-bay and there are not many SP regs I will not consider buying sight unseen if the price is right as most can be restored to excellent condition for not too much money (I get parts at cost). But the UL is one reg I won't normally touch as without the warranty, it is not really a good deal no matter how low the cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom