Scubapro MK25/S550 or Sherwood Blizzard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shipwreck_ferret

Registered
Reaction score
I've been diving a Brut for the last 9 years. Now I carry more gears, a bigger video camera+lighting, dive in sometime difficult situation and, lets face it, I'm getting older also.
I need a simple/reliable(I dare say bulletproof) reg like the Brut was but with better airflow caracteristic as it's very easy to overbreath the Brut.

I stopped my choices on the two on the title because they are both proven workhorse with no extra buttons or lever that I really don't care for; I like the idea of the underarm hose from Blizzard, but the deciding factor for me would be breathing caracteristic. Which of the two can deliver the most air at depth while under effort?

Thank you.

I had a similar discussion with a friend who spent years working dive boats. Their rental gear is Sherwood (basic) and Scubapro (deluxe for extra charge.) She's done plenty of dives as well as field service on both, and says that the Sherwoods don't breathe as well but they're pretty much bulletproof and extremely easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. Ther Scubapros (Mk25/650's in this case) breathe easier, especially at depth, are more reliable but harder to service.

Having never used a Sherwood reg, I can't personally vouch for one breathing easier than the other even at recreational depths. But this is from a person whose opinion I would trust.

shipwreck_ferret:
I've been diving a Brut for the last 9 years. Now I carry more gears, a bigger video camera+lighting, dive in sometime difficult situation and, lets face it, I'm getting older also.
I need a simple/reliable(I dare say bulletproof) reg like the Brut was but with better airflow caracteristic as it's very easy to overbreath the Brut.

I stopped my choices on the two on the title because they are both proven workhorse with no extra buttons or lever that I really don't care for; I like the idea of the underarm hose from Blizzard, but the deciding factor for me would be breathing caracteristic. Which of the two can deliver the most air at depth while under effort?

Thank you.

I use a Brut for deco bottle purposes and Maximus as my second primary on my doubles. I use the SP MK25/G250HP as my first primary so I say this without the usual bias - the SP will deliver tons more air than the Sherwood.

--Matt

Thanks guys, I've just ordered the SP MK25/S550 combo; should be here next week. Hopefully I won't have to take advantage of the 30 days satisfaction garantee exchange.

My only concern wih the SP is that the first stage is not sealed, should I be concerned? Is it just a matter of rinsing with fresh water when coming out?

In my opinion, the whole "sealed first stage" thing is mostly a marketing feature. Sure, it sounds good, but what is it really worth?

If you're diving is near-freezing or seriously contaminated water, then a sealed 1st stage may be a good thing to have. Besides this wintertime sewer diving, there are many thousands of non-sealed rental regs out there that probably get minimal rinsing and keep right on working.

I rinse and soak my Mk25/G250 & Mk25/G550 at the end of a freshwater dive weekend, and daily after saltwater diving. I have never found water or salt buildup inside the regs when opened for cleaning or service.

And even if I had a sealed 1st stage, I'd still rinse off the regulator to clean out the 2nd stage. With the alternate air, BC, and wet/dry suit to be rinsed and cleaned... the first stage doesn't seem like a big worry.

Does anyone know a "real world" rec diving advantage to sealed 1st stage?

I dive the MK25/HP250. I started out using a borrowed Brut. I'd take the SP anytime. (I've used a Maximus (still prefer the SP), but I've never used the Blizzard.)

shipwreck_ferret:
Thanks guys, I've just ordered the SP MK25/S550 combo; should be here next week. Hopefully I won't have to take advantage of the 30 days satisfaction garantee exchange.

My only concern wih the SP is that the first stage is not sealed, should I be concerned? Is it just a matter of rinsing with fresh water when coming out?
I have been in 80 to 37 degree water with my MK25/s650 and find no difference in breathing and it has never froze on me or anyone I know diving the MK25. I beleive that I can say that the Sealed 1st stage stuff is a way to get extra money on reg of lesser quality.

My concern was more toward getting sand and dirt and stuff into the first stage more than anything else; then I wasn't THAT concerned since I bought the SP after all, I figured engineer who designed the thing must have taken this into consideration. Can't wait to try it out :hyper: .

you will really enjoy your SP reg

The Scubapro MK25 is one of the best first stages money can buy. You will not be dissappointed. I dont have a S550 but do have the G250HP and S600 both perform great as I'm sure the 550 will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom