Scubapro MK2/R190 Freeflow when purged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Quick question for you all. I have a Scubapro MK2/R190 that will freeflow when I press the purge button on the R190. This only happens when I have the [size=-1]VIVA completely open. It will not happen when I have the VIVA on the lowest setting. As I have never owned a ScubaPro regulator before I have to ask...
Is this normal?

My old gear was Sherwood Bruit's and they didn't have a VIVA on them but they never freeflowed when I pressed the purge button either.

BTW, this happens above water when checking out my gear. The Regulators were serviced by my LDS Nov. 2004. This is where I purchased them.

Thanks,
Jeremy
[/size]

Entirely normal. The flow vane directs air out the mouthpiece which maintains a low pressure inside the secind stage keeps the diaphragm depressed.

With the flow vave in the minimum position, it creates some back pressure in the secnd stage which forces the diaphragm out and close the poppet so that the flow stops. Most divers keep the flow vane in the minimum posion if using it as an octo and put the flow vane somewhere in the middle for general use.

In the event you get a freeflow in the water with one, it is often quicker to stop the freeflow by putting your thumb over the mouthpiece until you get the flow vane readjusted.

Thanks for the quick reply and the information. I was thinking that I was probably normal but wanted to make sure.

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom