ScubaPro MK2/DIN leak problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fmerkel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Bought a 2nd hand MK2/DIN from someone selling off excess kit I know. Don't have one and curious about the reputation for simplicity and ruggedness. I do have MK14, 15, and 20 that I've used for years and service myself. Mostly use them in DIN mode but switch to yoke for tropical travel.

I did not tank test it as received. It looked to be well used (not abused) and needing an overhaul as the selling clearly indicated.

Opened it up - damn, it is simple! Filter had minor contamination, the rest was clean and in good shape.

Ultrasonic cleaned the metal and Clean Green the rest. No new parts, not even O-rings. They all looked fine.
Assembled > leaked. Traced it down to the DIN insert. Started looking more closely at parts. Swapped out the inside O-ring for a new Viton > still leaked.

OK.....(critical?) differences. All my other SP regs are FLAT inside where the DIN adapter seals against the body.
The MK 2 body DIN opening has a reverse conical shape with a tiny hole on the edge that obviously feeds tank pressure to the HP opening. By visual inspection I don't see any way the DIN adapter CAN seal this. (Wish I'd tested it first).
On a hunch I added an EXTRA O-ring to the 2nd groove on the DIN adapter. The first groove holds the tightening knob on, the 2nd groove just seems to "be there". There is no indication anywhere I can find to put and O-ring there.
IT WORKED! No leaks, IP stable at 130, breathes fine. Pressurized it, turned off the tank, and the next morning all pressures were exactly as I left them. Seems to be solid. Is this a crazy solution? Is there a "proper" fix for this?

Questions:
1. Is the DIN adapter for the MK2 supposed to be different than the rest of the models to deal with the conical seat? How can this be made to work?

2. The only info I can find in [frogkick] is for MK2 PLUS. Looks pretty much what I have. I have no idea of which model I have. Is there a non-Plus? If so, what is the difference? Typical of these manuals, details are sketchy to non-existent. The troubleshooting guide and schematics don't add anything that is helpful for this.

Appreciate any help and experienced wisdom here.

Part number is 010 501 158. Is it possible you had debris on it such as a piece of hair? Is there a knick in the sealing surfaces?

Grabing some quick random information for you as i don't have access to my stuff right now...

The Universal DIN will not properly work with the MK-2.....

upload_2019-3-29_12-25-1.png

here is a reference to the proper one...

upload_2019-3-29_12-23-54.png

The one the seals between the DIN and body? Yup. Put the exact same one back in. It was in fine shape. When that didn't work I put in a new one. These are 011 that fit inside a recess in the base of the DIN. Same O-ring and shape seals the yoke adapter.

I'm in the same boat as rhwestfall. Don't have access to my stuff right now. When you remove the fitting and look in the body of the reg is there a small hole of to the side of the main hole?

I'm in the same boat as rhwestfall. Don't have access to my stuff right now. When you remove the fitting and look in the body of the reg is there a small hole of to the side of the main hole?

I just read your post. The o-ring on that set up typically goes where I've indicated. Putting the o-ring on the bottom usually blocks the small HP hole.

Attachments

• SCPDC3.png
    SCPDC3.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 90
[QUOTE="rhwestfall, post: 8593792, member: 180653"
The Universal DIN will not properly work with the MK-2.....
[/QUOTE]

Checked out that link but the info on that site is for [Scubapro Din Conv Kit Universal (MK2, MK10, MK11, MK14, MK16, MK17, MK18, MK20, MK25)].
https://www.diveseekers.com/ScubaPro_Din_Conversion_Kit_Universal_p/sp-10.045.030.htm

By eye it looks like the Universal Adapter, but I can't see the critical sealing end.

That adapter works however you use the white o-ring around the body to seal and not the yellow one.

Back
Top Bottom