Regulator Geeks: Scubapro Mk19EVO - teardown & discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the informative run through of the Mark 19 Evo regulator and the other tidbits of knowledge. The Mark 19 Evo is impressive and the small details that Scubapro went to improve performance over the Mark 17/19 non-Evo is interesting.

The Conshelf is dirt simple but it's tight IP spread from full to empty suited the USD/AL 1085 series downstream seconds well. And it needs little in the way of tools to service and has relatively simple parts for a diaphragm regulator.

The R109 exhaust is exhausting and gives me a headache :wink:.

James

MK19 will still do 150mph in a 25mph zone...if you know what I mean....it will still outflow your lungs, your buddy's lungs, his buddy's lungs, and at 165fsw+. Poseidon's best regs were millions of years ago. Did I miss anything?
Great summary, lol!
The only issue I'd take is with your Poseidon assessment. They invented a lot of diaphragm stuff early on that is still going strong.
I didn't talk about the Poseidon XStream at all tonight. Tonight was Scubapro's show. But the Poseidon XStream deserves a whole session for itself. IMO, it's the single most well-designed diaphragm regulator on the planet. When they add a turret (and I hear they are trying), we'll have a Mk19EVO/XStream showdown. Poseidon's balancing mechanism is near unique. And the XStream is certified to 200m. So that'll give the Mk19 a run for its money.
But Poseidon's second stages are...different. Frankly, I'd pair an XStream with my favorite second stage and that'd be my dream rig. But I'd miss the turret...

Error . . .

Great summary, lol!
The only issue I'd take is with your Poseidon assessment. They invented a lot of diaphragm stuff early on that is still going strong.
I didn't talk about the Poseidon XStream at all tonight. Tonight was Scubapro's show. But the Poseidon XStream deserves a whole session for itself. IMO, it's the single most well-designed diaphragm regulator on the planet. When they add a turret (and I hear they are trying), we'll have a Mk19EVO/XStream showdown. Poseidon's balancing mechanism is near unique. And the XStream is certified to 200m. So that'll give the Mk19 a run for its money.
But Poseidon's second stages are...different. Frankly, I'd pair an XStream with my favorite second stage and that'd be my dream rig. But I'd miss the turret...
Are you able to test regs' performance in a pressure chamber simulating depth?? :D

Great summary, lol!

Did you record the presentation? It was way past our bedtime (I think 03:00 our time).

Great show as usual Rob! But you still owe us a volcano polishing, 😂. I agree with the centre balanced regs having their own presentation. Would also like to see one on Poseidon regs in general.

Thank you for a great session last night. Unfortunately I had to leave early, but I really appreciate the time you took to explain the background and your thoughts on the piston vs diaphragm. The breakdown in the changes from the earlier model was great. I am looking forward if you offer your regulator maintenance class again.

Another great demo presentation by @rsingler. I'm looking forward to more.

Thanks Rob.

Poseidon's best regs were millions of years ago. Did I miss anything?
That many of those decades-old regulators are still being used, not relegated to paperweights as so many brands have, is simply a testament to their quality and longevity, not a reflection on their newer equipment.

I have owned and / or serviced every single-hose model, dating from the 1960s-on; and advancements have certainly been made, since -- including their more recent closed-circuit equipment. I wouldn't think twice about diving on any of their regulators, made since the moon-landing; or, one manufactured in the last year.

My day-to-day gear typically involves newer XStream first stages, coupled with either Jetstream, Atmosphere (FFM), Cyklon, or XStream second stages -- paired with stage or pony bottles, fitted with decades-old Cyklon 300s.

There is over a forty year difference between the first stages, below. Neither, new or old, have ever missed a beat -- whether under ice in the Northeast; or under the worker's paradise that is Oakland Harbor . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 73
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom