Regulator Geeks: Scubapro Mk19EVO - teardown & discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lockup only occurs with a fully flooded reg.
If a little water gets inside due to decompression at depth, yeah, you are looking at an overhaul.
But I'll bet your reg will work just fine.
And even a fully flooded diaphragm reg would probably clear if a diver could "milk it" the way double hose divers used to.
I.E., if a diver sucked on the second stage to place the pressure in the LP side lower than ambient, a reopened tank would clear the water. But I don't know many divers who would be willing to suck salt water and spit it out at depth, based on my theoretical assessment, lol!

One of these days, I'll finish the pics.

For all of you SP "Diaphragm" guys. Pardon this piston guy's shameless plug here. I do have lots of kits that I'll never use (because after all I am a piston guy.) So if you need any for the MK11/17/18 and old MK19 kits, I'll be willing to make a deal. I think the new MK19 has a different seat, therefore I'm guessing not compatible.

Back to our regulator-ly scheduled program.

The lockup only occurs with a fully flooded reg.
If a little water gets inside due to decompression at depth, yeah, you are looking at an overhaul.
But I'll bet your reg will work just fine.
And even a fully flooded diaphragm reg would probably clear if a diver could "milk it" the way double hose divers used to.
I.E., if a diver sucked on the second stage to place the pressure in the LP side lower than ambient, a reopened tank would clear the water. But I don't know many divers who would be willing to suck salt water and spit it out at depth, based on my theoretical assessment, lol!

One of these days, I'll finish the pics.
I’m pretty sure I would suck salt water and spit it out if I could get some air eventually.

For all of you SP "Diaphragm" guys. Pardon this piston guy's shameless plug here. I do have lots of kits that I'll never use (because after all I am a piston guy.) So if you need any for the MK11/17/18 and old MK19 kits, I'll be willing to make a deal. I think the new MK19 has a different seat, therefore I'm guessing not compatible.

Back to our regulator-ly scheduled program.
A line in the sand, eh? :) You got a strong statement for pistons? I'm just curious on your perspective...as I am currently an MK25 hitter for my air underwater.

That said, I am raising an eyebrow at the info surfacing about the MK19 [Evo is latest?]...as I currently am side-mounting my LP72s in cold water [fresh and salt]. I do not *think* I will out-breathe an MK25 [never said my brain always thought good] so going to a smaller diameter orifice [MK19] is a little new for me. The MK25 situations I have had...I have never had a freeflow from freeze up...never noticed any ice on the spring [was not looking very close often, but in freshwater dives around 40F, I have not noticed any ice on the spring when looking]...so...how much is the MK19 providing over what I currently need?

MK19 wins [mostly] in the service department. Reasons against it are parts costs, count, complexity...tho not a deal killer. Next, I have lots of MK25 service kits! Then, MK25 has to be lightly "machined" at the piston stem knife edge and in the ambient chamber walls for wear from grit. No fun wearing away critical molecules of your gem's family jewels.

MK19 loses in cost...simple...I got my MK20s as part of a load of "old" dive gear for $250 total...easily $600 to $1k in stuff. I then converted them to the latest MK25 parts available...spring, piston, cap...for about $40 ea. So, total, my like new performing MK25s are less than $100 ea after service fees, selling useless to me gear, parts, tools, etc. Plus, I believe I need at least one more custom MK19 tool...and certainly service kits.

My plan is to wait a few years...until I trip over some sweet MK19 Evos at a fair price....let them prove themselves more in the wild. I just hope I either catch [and remember] another Rsingler reg teardown of the MK19 Evo [and a 4th gen S600 or maybe an S620 by then] or find some Scubapro MK19 Evo service manuals while I still can! :D

I dont want to be the last to post on this thread lol

I'm just saying that I was a super fan of the MK25...until a few very informed and well respected regulator gurus on this forum expressed that the MK25 was not the best regulator on the market...and some went to say that they did not even like them.

That opened my eyes a bit and got me thinking.

I love hearing the pros and cons of piston vs diaphragm...and specifically here...the MK25 vs MK19. With the swivel ports on both...it really hones in on the piston vs diaphragm comparison :)

.until a few very informed and well respected regulator gurus on this forum expressed that the MK25 was not the best regulator on the market...and some went to say that they did not even like them.

MK25's are used worldwide by all types of divers and for all levels of diving and the GREATER majority of them believe that the MK25 is their best choice and continue to use it exclusively. With all of my contacts and travels across the world, I have never met one expert diver who said anything negative about this specific MK25 first stage. (The only complaint maybe was the price but never the quality). SB isn't exactly a true or even remotely representative of reality out there.

The 25 is an excellent regulator but for me the 17 is better because it keeps the fine abrasives out and it doesn’t have a swivel.
Yeah, the first part of this about the fine abrasives...is what got me thinking about the MK25 not being the king of the regulator mountain....

MK25's are used worldwide by all types of divers and for all levels of diving and the GREATER majority of them believe that the MK25 is their best choice and continue to use it exclusively. With all of my contacts and travels across the world, I have never met one expert diver who said anything negative about this specific MK25 first stage. (The only complaint maybe was the price but never the quality). SB isn't exactly a true or even remotely representative of reality out there.
I was one of those "never said anything negative about the MK25 except for maybe price"...until having conversations on this forum. No SB is not representing the world....I am using my own experience along with opinions of those with extensive regulator experience to compare what makes sense for my own diving needs and wants....and doing so on a public diving discussion forum :) Maybe it can help others....

Tho, I fully admit that I am rehashing a long running discussion about piston vs diaphragm...tho...the MK19 Evo has not been around as long as the MK25...and the comparison of these, recently, had me rethink that discussion.

Tho, I fully admit that I am rehashing a long running discussion about piston vs diaphragm...tho...the MK19 Evo has not been around as long as the MK25...and the comparison of these, recently, had me rethink that discussion.
Having used both piston and diaphragm regulators, interchangeably, for years, without fail, I had always thought the debate much ado about nothing . . .

Having used both piston and diaphragm regulators, interchangeably, for years, without fail, I had always thought the debate much ado about nothing . . .

Pretty much - Unless you're diving in REALLY cold water (less than 4*C) or in really silted up water, there really is no difference.

People will harp on about flow, but if you're out-breathing any reg, you have bigger problems.
Service interval is about the same if you rinse your regs. But eventually o-rings wear out and things need a tune.
For 99.9% of people, pick any decent reg and you'll be ok. Do anything out of the ordinary (really deep, really cold, really silty) and you might want to consider your options a bit more closely.

Back
Top Bottom