Regulator Geeks: Scubapro Mk19EVO - teardown & discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m pretty sure I would suck salt water and spit it out if I could get some air eventually.

The problem with sucking salt water is that the larnyx will close and then you will not suck anything. I managed to flood my lungs with salt water by determined sucking of a leaking regulator this past summer. That is what happens when a feller is drowning. The larnyx closes and then there was no more sucking. And being still at 90 feet and with a minor deco obligation and seperated from my gaggle of buddies I was pretty much close to dead. I grayed out but managed to maintain some semblance of consciousness by focusing on completing a task, clipping my camera up and deploying my sausage, whilst (mentally) whistling Dixie waiting for my larynx to open enough to get some air and more importantly expel the seawater now residing in my lungs. It took about two minutes and while I cannot be certain of the time I figure I had not gotten a clean breath in close to five minutes. Yes, I survived, yes, I bled from my mouth and lungs, yes, I got pneumonia, yes, I kept diving for the remainder of my trip. My point is, do not plan on breathing much in the way of seawater, lungs are not gills and we are not designed for it. Best to be avoided.

So, I have began an upgrade and reevaluation program (not just equipment) that is mostly centered around Mark V and Mark 20/25 and a new Mark 17 firsts coupled with a small fleet of G250, G260 and a couple of R190s as primary sets and an AL Core set and Titan LX set for my working regs. And anything that does not have an S on it (save for my Core/Titan LX/Legend) somewhere is being demoted and relegated to pretty fish dives.

I got a Mark X from one of the "usual suspects" and it is not set up for a Spec boot and it has the teeny tiny little ambient holes. I think I will just squirt it full of silicone and slip a road bike tube over or if feeling brave, put it in my drill press and size the ambient holes up with a number 21 drill bit. I think the woes described to and of piston regs and sand are perhaps a little exagggerated. Though Scubapro could have made rinsing the piston/spring chamber easier by providing the large ambient holes of the Mark V in the later second stages, well, I guess they are back to that now.

I have seen a diaphragm regulator lock up from being flooded. It was a Conshelf. The amount of water is very small. The regulator did clear itself but not immediately. In Bonaire a few months back my wife's Legend was fitted to the typical horrid resort K valve and it began to leak profusely from the valve face O-ring. One of out group managed to reseat the first stage by shutting the valve off and loosening the regulator. The Legend has ACD. The ACD valve must have closed as no water was found in the first stage. The internal condition was found to be pristine when I later opened it up. It was such an attempt to fix a leaking valve some approximately 50 years ago in Little River that resulted in the Conshelf first flooding and then locking up. The regulator had hit the ceiling and bent the yoke knob and was spewing precious air at a most inopportune time. At least that is how I remember it, a lot of brain cells have died in the interim.

James

I am not denying it that it happens but it is so insignificant that it isn't an issue to be taken into consideration comparing the worthiness of the MK25 vs. others.
Tomaytoe...tomahtoe.
Yes, it happens.
New'ish Mk25 from yesterday's service bench.
Note the vertical scratches and chrome loss in the piston head land.
Screenshot_20220205-112032_Gallery.jpg

Old'ish Mk20 that someone wanted preserved after 30 years. Note the completely absent chrome and heavy scoring.
Screenshot_20220205-112434_Gallery.jpg

Does it happen? Is it real? Yes.
Is it fast? No, and yes. Depends upon rinsing.
Does it affect sealing? Only in the worst cases.
The Mk25 double o-ring seal with a wiper o-ring protects the actual seal to a great degree.
Does the Mk25 deliver the highest flow of any first stage reg in the world? Probably.

Out of sight, out of mind.
But if you know it's happening (i.e., if you service your own gear), it makes you crazy.

Well, it makes me crazy.

Nice pictures @rsingler The FACT that a few minutes of work with a bit of emery cloth and an o-ring will be all that's necessary is a testament to the durability of a piston regulator. MK2/5/6/7/8/9/10/20/25 I've seen the Good Dr. and a few other people, including yours truly, put all of those models back into perfect lockup shape for a few pennies....so there.

Tomaytoe...tomahtoe.
Yes, it happens.
New'ish Mk25 from yesterday's service bench.
Note the vertical scratches and chrome loss in the piston head land.
View attachment 705470
Old'ish Mk20 that someone wanted preserved after 30 years. Note the completely absent chrome and heavy scoring.
View attachment 705472
Does it happen? Is it real? Yes.
Is it fast? No, and yes. Depends upon rinsing.
Does it affect sealing? Only in the worst cases.
The Mk25 double o-ring seal with a wiper o-ring protects the actual seal to a great degree.
Does the Mk25 deliver the highest flow of any first stage reg in the world? Probably.

Out of sight, out of mind.
But if you know it's happening (i.e., if you service your own gear), it makes you crazy.

Well, it makes me crazy.

I can bring worse pictures of diaphragm first stages and claim that all diaphragm are terrible and shouldn't be used (which is true :p ) but it isn't fair to make such sweeping judgements based on the exceptional exceptions. It is definitely not a reason to chose diaphragm first stages over piston especially when in reality one can find more justifications, including serious ones, to use piston first stage instead of diaphragm one.

Yeah, it makes me crazy as well lol

I LOVE the MK25...dove it to over 165fsw many times, over 185fsw several times, and once over 200fsw without any issues.

I do service my own gear and it SUCKS to see the wear from this happening. My regs that I rinse at the dive site after each dive [including into the ambient chamber] and soak at home in a freshwater tub after every dive day...still looked like the reg in rsingler's pics...well, one of my MK25s did. Yup, it happens! The other one was less so but not unscathed.

Is it enough to turn me away from MK25s? Perhaps....if money was no object, YES! I would switch or at least give the MK19 EVO or Atomics a try :)

I am SUPER interested in the MK25 spec boot....that would be a great option for those that do experience the wear first hand. If anyone has any info on this, please share!

I LOVE the MK25...dove it to over 165fsw many times, over 185fsw several times, and once over 200fsw without any issues.

Did you have a pony on you when you did????????

:p

...including yours truly, put all of those models back into perfect lockup shape for a few pennies....so there.
In fact, for a lot less $$ than ordering (and waiting) for the tiny lifting pin that fell out and disappeared in the carpet for three weeks.
... Only to magically reappear two days after the replacement arrived.

At least I now have a spare. Now there are only 47 other parts to order as spares. :rofl3:

Absolutely loved the video ! Please do the MK25 Evo ! If you need one to deassemble I may be able to supply it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom