scubapro mk18; swivel down or up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
How should I connect my 1st stage (INT) to the cylinder valve? With the swivel up or down, or doesn't make this a difference? Maybe it sounds like a stupid question but i want to make sure that i connect it properly.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Regards,

It doesn't really matter. And to confuse you some more, some poeple put it horizontally. If you are a taller guy you may want it up or if you are shorter you may want it down. Or if you dive where there are snaggs you may also want it down. Personally I think that down offers more advantages, but it depends or your size and enviroment. .

Here's a thread on other Scubapro swivel first stages for reference. I'm a bit surprised when this question arises there's not much mention of how the Scubapro manuals say the port in the center of the turret face is rated for higher flow (for MK18, MK20, and MK25). However, there's a lot of discussion on the MK16 "high flow" ports.

http://scubaboard.com/t60064.html

Killerwhale:
How should I connect my 1st stage (INT) to the cylinder valve? With the swivel up or down, or doesn't make this a difference? Maybe it sounds like a stupid question but i want to make sure that i connect it properly.

Thanks in advance for your answRegards,

All the Americans I saw in Roatan with MK20s or 10s had the swivel down. All the Europeans I saw in the Philippines had it up. I put mine up. I lower my tank a bit but I liked it when demonstrating reach back reg recovery in open water courses. Much easier to get to it with it up. And it can move around. I first set it up down but it restricted the rotating capability. All in all, it's personal preference.

I have a Mk18/G250S and I put mine "down" to have some protection for that area from bumps and bangs... Apparently in Europe, most put then "down" too.

although i've been told that it doesn't matter, i prefer

swivel down...

I dive in overhead environments. Even though I'm careful, there are times which I can feel/hear the tank bumping on the overhead. I would rather have the reg cap take the blow than the swivel point. I'm not so concerned about the swivel, but rather a free flow from a cut/damaged reg line.

I also prefer the hose routing with the swivel down. I prefer to keep the hoses closer to my body to keep them in the slipstream. I try to minimize drag as much as I can. It may not make that much of a difference, but the thought of less drag makes me happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom