Scubapro MK 25 sealed, experimental first try

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lexvil

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a MK 20 UL, upgraded to mk25 and I’ve have a few of the rare ish mk20 SPEC boots
3122D575-1681-429B-A600-343B626F0D1F.jpeg

I tried one of the original boots on a MK 25, not a great fit since they changed the profile of the first stage but I sent a boot and the 25 to @James79, mister wizard with mad skills, so I received some examples to try out but first the mk25 which looked to be-in excellent shape and well maintained showed the typical beginnings of internal damage from an unsealed piston reg, one of the reasons I dive the MK 17.
5E3E52CD-C2A7-43EA-B5B4-DBFBC0D5B599.jpeg

So I sent it to a nice vinegar bath and ultra sonic spa session and installed my last mk25 service kit
F001CBAF-D9C8-43E7-A1A0-7CCBA0C438F0.jpeg

James also made the saddle with clearance for the boot, I packed the ambient chamber with crystolube
CC8769F6-EADF-46AC-A236-BF6A12E38F7E.jpeg

And pressurized it, then depressurized it in water, it passed the test so I put it on a pony and took it diving
7A2D10C9-AE45-4CD0-9D66-C39F3C37AB58.jpeg

Thoughts and in ocean pictures to follow.

Ok did a nice long dive with the sealed 25 on a pony, started pressurized valve closed, somewhere around 40 feet purged and let it depressurize. After a bit I opened the valve again and breathed from it fo a while and left it pressurized a while before doing it all over again. Taking pictures of a slung pony is not easy, crappy pics to prove it.
291BA398-EDFF-4003-BB11-66537B28C0D6.jpeg
A04FF406-6C74-4584-9077-F017499C4357.jpeg
4ADC564F-6983-48D8-80C7-2586C330E9D0.jpeg
BAAAFCB5-7CEE-4C1C-A1B6-10F394360B9A.jpeg
00FA6597-7925-4E7A-A2EF-3C8CDA61CFB2.jpeg

So first thing I found is the softness of the cast silicone made this not so great since the seal got bumped a bit and squeezed some grease out but it still worked. James also made some silicone copied along the design of the original with more of a reservoir for the grease, I switched to that one for the next test that may be a few weeks away, I’ll use the 25 as my main reg so it doesn’t get bumped around.
F7E80049-2FB8-41FD-A250-D6B177EABE69.jpeg
80FF772F-12A4-42BA-9BAA-68224CC26C6A.jpeg

yes sealed is messy but the internal damage is a real thing, this reg was used but showed no sign of neglect yet the piston sealing area was already showing some pitting and scoring, I used to use Atomic for the sealing but just switched to MK17 to get away from Huish and part supply problems. The Mk25 is a great piston design with the external IP adjustment making it a pack leader among piston Regs, I just hate to see them get chewed up from the shore diving gunk I encounter.

the seal got bumped a bit and squeezed some grease out but it still worked
I'm guessing the edge away from the turret got disturbed? It occurs to me that something like a MK10 Spec has the whole Spec ring in a groove so it's edges are protected.... I have an idea for a solution, and am also thinking about getting some firmer silicone (but the firmer the silicone, the harder it is to degass and get a good product). I'll update here if any Good Ideas pan out and send one your way.

respectfully,

James

I'm guessing the edge away from the turret got disturbed? It occurs to me that something like a MK10 Spec has the whole Spec ring in a groove so it's edges are protected.... I have an idea for a solution, and am also thinking about getting some firmer silicone (but the firmer the silicone, the harder it is to degass and get a good product). I'll update here if any Good Ideas pan out and send one your way.

respectfully,

James
Yes the upper edge got bumped by some piece of gear, by using it on my main tank it should meet with less interference, won’t be able to tank pics (not that I had much success anyway) but I will be able to see if any water gets past.

Thank you for re-posting and sharing!!! I am following the progress and look forward to your follow up reports indeed. Mr. Wizard is a wizard indeed :)

to get away from Huish and part supply problems.

Is the parts supply an old issue? I don't have this issue with them. What else bothers you about Huish please?

Thank you for re-posting and sharing!!! I am following the progress and look forward to your follow up reports indeed. Mr. Wizard is a wizard indeed :)

Is the parts supply an old issue? I don't have this issue with them. What else bothers you about Huish please?

@James79 is a gentlemen wizard as well as a talented one.

SP did that for awhile had issues and gave up, I thought. The LDS at the time did it to my MK5 a few years then stopped, told me SP wasn't doing it anymore. That was long ago there has got to better products for that these days. Did SP retry the SPEC idea?

@James79 is a gentlemen wizard as well as a talented one.

SP did that for awhile had issues and gave up, I thought. That was long ago there has got to better products for that these days. Did SP retry the SPEC idea?
He also makes things you may like,
02540434-A0EB-44C2-A681-A18F53AB09A1.jpeg
9E6F2CAF-B1A3-41CC-8F20-6117F30A6C8A.jpeg

this switch not only doesn’t twist and look broken like the original it very smooth in operation, won’t leak and comes in cool colors.

It was an old issue, for me since I no longer use anything under their banner, not that I wouldn’t but it just so happens.

He also makes things you may like,
View attachment 675427 View attachment 675428
this switch not only doesn’t twist and look broken like the original it very smooth in operation, won’t leak and comes in cool colors.

Breaking that switch was a big concern of the tech that serviced my AIR. He told me mine was good and he was going to leave it alone. That is a thing of beauty! There surly was room for improvement with that switch and it appears @James79 did a good job with that room!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom