ScubaPro mirror lens masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaskipper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Had a student in class that just bought a mirror lens Scubapro mask. Good fit, looks cool, cleaned before class, as per directions. Most of his time was spent trying to keep it from fogging. He got LOTS of mask clearing practice but was constantly distracted by not being able to see clearly. I'm afraid I'll have a hard time recommending any of the mirrored lens masks if they are this much of a PITA. Not real fond of them for students, too hard to see into for mask skills. Going right to the source at SP for an answer.

Are you sure he cleaned it properly? More than once I'd have sworn I'd prepped a new mask just right, and then had to go back and do it again after its first time in the sea.

What were the "directions"? My latest SP mask required 4 Bic lighter sessions...

I had a student a few weeks ago with that mask...no issues with fogging. Me thinks your student is missing a step somewhere.

There was a note with it that said not to clean it with any paste or gel. He took it home and washed it in a dish pan with Dawn and used a liquid spray defog before the class dives. Don't know about using a lighter on a tinted, mirrored lens. I usually use soft scrub on the clear lens masks and have no fog problems. I would like to hear from Scubapro so as not to damage the tint or mirrored surface.

That's probably the safest bet to call SP. I personally don't know if the glass is tinted or there is a film that could be compromised.

We mention not use abrasives on mirrored lens masks as it will damage the coating. However, the BIC process does work well but we do not suggest you try it and then damage the silicone. If you cannot get it to clear, it should come back to SCUBAPRO for inspection/replacement.

Wow, just reading this now! I got a mirror Spectre probably over a year ago now and had and continue to have issues with fogging scubaskiper & SCUBAPRO Harry. I used Seabuff & ended up scratching the tint. I have to use Sea Gold antifog or it just doesn't stay clear.

under water some where

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom