Scubapro Litehawk feels like BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lriemann

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a diver who does about 20 dives a year - maybe a Livebaoard or some shore diving in the Red Sea.
I have about 110 dives, and I always rent the BCD.
Last week I tried a BP&W for the first time.
I really felt more streamlined and hydrodynamic, and I think my air consumption improved, which I really like.

I don't think my amount of diving justifies buying a BP&W, which seem to start at around 400 Euros.
But I can probably get a lightly used Litehawk for half that price.
I remember liking the feel of the Litehawk in the shop but I never tried it in the water.
From reading online, a lot of people seem to like it as a travel BCD.
So I'd like to know if it's very similar to using a BP&W in terms of feel in the water and trim.
Is it just like a BP&W but without the possibility of "growing with it" and the modularity?

Any input is appreciated!

The Litehawk will be similar to a BP/wing in how it trims. It has about 30 pounds of lift and is a fairly simple rig. Similar is not same as. Not all wings dive the same either. My bet is you will probably be satisfied.

Edit to add, this is not an expedition grade piece of equipment. By that I mean it is not heavy duty and heavy duty does not have to be heavy. The Litehawk uses a soft plate so it will be preferable to use aluminum tanks because they are not as negative in the water and will not tend to flop side to side. There is but a single camband if I recall. All true BP/wings have two cam bands because two is one and one is none :wink:.

The main difference will be with the backplate, which is plastic with the Litehawk. Everything in the combo wing / back plate comes from the wheight of the plate ideally located along your spine

I've used both. Not a huge difference for recreational diving. If you are fanatical, you can rig a crotch strap for the BC and it should feel VERY similar to a BP/W. I bought a used one years ago and did hundreds of dives with it.

I've used both. Not a huge difference for recreational diving. If you are fanatical, you can rig a crotch strap for the BC and it should feel VERY similar to a BP/W. I bought a used one years ago and did hundreds of dives with it.
You don't have to be fanatical. A crotch strap provides a major advantage for most body types.

@Lriemann
If you are willing to get a used Litehawk, why not a used BP/W?

You don't have to be fanatical. A crotch strap provides a major advantage for most body types.

@Lriemann
If you are willing to get a used Litehawk, why not a used BP/W?
For some reason I can't find used ones at this price.
And I think the Litehawk is a little lighter and requires less fussing about.

For some reason I can't find used ones at this price.
And I think the Litehawk is a little lighter and requires less fussing about.
The reason is that once you start diving a BP/W, you step off the BCD "upgrade" cycle. Something to think about when considering costs over the long term. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom