ScubaPro Jet Fins made in Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I started diving a decade ago+ these were cheap good fins around $50 new. Now they are made out of country and cost almost three times as much. It is VERY difficult to find where things are made. But there are less products made in the US, a unfortunate growing trend. Ironically this tread is having a backlash. I try hard to buy USA made stuff but it gets harder all the time.

When I started diving a decade ago+ these were cheap good fins around $50 new. Now they are made out of country and cost almost three times as much. It is VERY difficult to find where things are made. But there are less products made in the US, a unfortunate growing trend. Ironically this tread is having a backlash. I try hard to buy USA made stuff but it gets harder all the time.

Agree. It seems more and more things are manufactured overseas to cut costs but the sale prices just keep increasing. I'm not a business person, perhaps this is the nature of business in the current economy. I would rather pay a little more and buy local. Over here in Japan the ScubaPro MSRP for the Jets with springs is 23,500Yen, almost $300USD. Admittedly you would be a fool to pay the MSRP but still. They are made in Taiwan which I'm guessing is done as they are cheaper to manufacture there. So why the high price? or have SP just decided this is a price the Japanese market will bear. Is ScubaPro taking the piss? As far as I'm aware they are nowhere near that price in the US (and are still made in the US for the US market?) SP will not allow sales out of region online, certainly from any of the big EU dealers, so over here if you want them you need to pay a ridiculous price. I'm not sure if US dealers will/are allowed to ship offshore. Nice one SP.

I'm not commenting on quality of Taiwanese Jets as I haven't seen US and Taiwanese Jets side by side. For all I know quality could be identical. I did ask this question over on SP forum and am looking forward to their response?

Last edited:
Dear Ron, for over 30 years now we have manufactured Force Fin products here in America. Plant's in Virginia, Pennsylvania and two plants here in California. We plan to open our own Production plant later this year...and employ American Workers. How about that!

I found out the info myself for anyone who's interested. They are not the same as those made in the US, the sizing is different, the foot pockets are larger and the compound is softer, it's like diving with wet cardboard strapped to your feet. Just wished I knew this before I bought them. Nice one SP that was a waste of almost $200USD. Anyone buying Jets in the future might want to check where they are made.

Its the same fin, same materials, different mold plates but still the same size pockets - basically the only difference is the mold plates are newer (but are copies of the same ones made in the US). The biggest difference is that the spring heels now come fitted from the factory so there no need for bolt cutters to fit the spring heels.

Agreed it's never nice to see something traditionally made in one location gets shipped off to another, but lets be realistic, scuba pro jet fins are head and shoulders above the rest. There's plenty of fins made in more expensive production areas using more expensive production staff, sadly the nett result is they are more expensive and in many cases, they are crappy fins anyway.

I recently changed my jet fins as my last (made in the US) fins eventually gave way after many years and about 3000 dives, the made in Taiwan ones are no different. Even at $300 a pair that's just $0.10 per dive, mabe other fins can be sold with less of a mark-up as they don't last anywhere near as long or most people realise they were a terrible idea once they learn to semi-decent propulsion?

Anyone knocking Taiwan should understand that it is not a cheap knock off country. Taiwan is a world leader in high tech.

As for prices, these will always be what the local market will support.

That's why here in Japan, products made in the USA such as Oceanic dive computers are more expensive than the same item bought in another country. Just basic economics.

Anyone knocking Taiwan should understand that it is not a cheap knock off country. Taiwan is a world leader in high tech.

That's why here in Japan, products made in the USA such as Oceanic dive computers are more expensive than the same item bought in another country. Just basic economics.

Who's knocking Taiwan?

---------- Post Merged at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Its the same fin, same materials, different mold plates but still the same size pockets - basically the only difference is the mold plates are newer (but are copies of the same ones made in the US). The biggest difference is that the spring heels now come fitted from the factory so there no need for bolt cutters to fit the spring heels.

Agreed it's never nice to see something traditionally made in one location gets shipped off to another, but lets be realistic, scuba pro jet fins are head and shoulders above the rest. There's plenty of fins made in more expensive production areas using more expensive production staff, sadly the nett result is they are more expensive and in many cases, they are crappy fins anyway.

I recently changed my jet fins as my last (made in the US) fins eventually gave way after many years and about 3000 dives, the made in Taiwan ones are no different. Even at $300 a pair that's just $0.10 per dive, mabe other fins can be sold with less of a mark-up as they don't last anywhere near as long or most people realise they were a terrible idea once they learn to semi-decent propulsion?

Sorry but I beg to differ, I had 2 exact same size Jet fins side by side today, one made in the Us and the other Taiwan, they are not the same, the pocket on the Taiwan Jets is wider, the rubber is softer and they are not as stiff.

The problem is Globalization and corporate control with zero concern for the public good...which could also be referred to as multi-cultural Fascism. . Ultimately this destroys and re-distributes the wealth of the middle class. Under the pretense of better pricing, we head ever-closer to a peasant class, and a corporate class. America's war for Independence, was about fighting the essentially Globalist mandates of the day from England.....

I would buy American whenever possible, but for it to mean anything at all, each of us would need to convince dozens of friends to do the same. One vote is nonsense. One person can be a "sphere of influence". Thousands of "spheres of influence" can create a vote that does mean something.

Agree. It seems more and more things are manufactured overseas to cut costs but the sale prices just keep increasing. I'm not a business person, perhaps this is the nature of business in the current economy. I would rather pay a little more and buy local. Over here in Japan the ScubaPro MSRP for the Jets with springs is 23,500Yen, almost $300USD. Admittedly you would be a fool to pay the MSRP but still. They are made in Taiwan which I'm guessing is done as they are cheaper to manufacture there. So why the high price? or have SP just decided this is a price the Japanese market will bear. Is ScubaPro taking the piss? As far as I'm aware they are nowhere near that price in the US (and are still made in the US for the US market?) SP will not allow sales out of region online, certainly from any of the big EU dealers, so over here if you want them you need to pay a ridiculous price. I'm not sure if US dealers will/are allowed to ship offshore. Nice one SP.

I'm not commenting on quality of Taiwanese Jets as I haven't seen US and Taiwanese Jets side by side. For all I know quality could be identical. I did ask this question over on SP forum and am looking forward to their response?
Archiebald, Just for clarification...

My original question was "are they the same as those made in the US?" to which Id have to say they are not, nothing to do with quality at all, they are simply not the same fin IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom