scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have an old bcd and it's time to upgrade. I went into my dive shop looking for something like a Hogarth rig and came out almost sold on this Hydros Pro. If you have had experience with it can you comment? I'm a single tank warm water diver. Thanks!

Back plate and wing. It's quite a bit cheaper than the hydros. As a warm water diver I'm assuming you dive mostly with an AL 80. A stainless steel backplate means you can also take 6 lbs of lead off your weight belt. It also packs nice and flat for travel.

Back plate and wing. It's quite a bit cheaper than the hydros. As a warm water diver I'm assuming you dive mostly with an AL 80. A stainless steel backplate means you can also take 6 lbs of lead off your weight belt. It also packs nice and flat for travel.

can you recommend back plate and wing brands. I'm assuming you mean a hogarth rig??

FWIW I love my Hydros Pro. It also packs well for travel.I know most here on SB prefer back plate/wings but I wanted to add my 2 cents anyway.

I love the Hydros. The monoprene sticks to you, on land, it's almost somewhat difficult to take off because it does not want to let you go. This is great in the water, because it does not slip or move. It just feels like you are flying through the water.
One kind of weird thing...They have ( I believe it is) a 42 pound wing. That seems pretty excessive for the types of diving you would be doing with one...but I have not had any issues with it when I dove with them.

Look at VDH (vintage double hose) for his deals on BPW, I have been using his flat plate for both single and double hose use for some time, simple and light but solid in use, great deals for a complete rig fight now.

DSS is another choice for a great set up, complete for much less than the SP Hydros.

I do like the hydros but for several hundred more $$ it’s just not worth it to me.

@Dave Kay, As others have mentioned, there is certainly nothing wrong with the Hydros, it's a good BC. For me, the ability to carry 6 lbs in my backplate is gold. It means that I only have to add 2 lbs of weight when I dive an AL 80. I just stick that 2 lbs in a pocket weight and no weigh belt for me! And my plate and wing is less expensive, so it's a win-win.

You can also dive an AL backplate, which is lighter for air travel, and weighs only about 2 lbs. When flying, I don't find the extra 4 lbs in my luggage is a big deal and I prefer not having to add that extra 4 lbs of lead when I dive.

My rig probably doesn't exactly match a hogarithian prescription, but it's pretty simple. I just use a single piece webbing strung through the backplate. I started out using a deluxe harness, because honestly I was afraid of the single piece webbing and backplate, it looked like a torture rig to me. I found the rig with a deluxe padded harness to be comfortable, but then decided the padded harness had too much junk. I then moved to simple, single piece webbing with no padding and couldn't be happier. It doesn't look like it, but it's super comfortable and the single piece harness is WAY, WAY easier to fit and adjust in your backplate than a deluxe padded harness.

As for brands, I have several and I'm not really particular to any one. I find they all work well. If you can get them from your local shop, that might be the way to go as they can help you set it up. Otherwise, you might try Deep Sea Supply. The owner, Tobin, is here on SB frequently. I've never done business with him, but other folks have suggested he provides really great service. As far as I know, he's also the only one who makes backplates in different sizes so you can customize a fit if you are especially tall or short.

Deep Sea Supply -Backplates & Wings-SMB-HoseHat_Single tank & doubles Tank Scuba rigs_

I have some friends who have one and they all rave about it. Some have said it’s the best BC they have ever dived. But i know they haven’t dived BP/Ws. I know one of theirs broke in a specific spot and they had to get it repaired and it isn’t a fix you can do while on a liveaboard or away, apparently. I think this was a common problem and perhaps it is fixed now. There’s a thread about it here, I believe.

TBH, I think it’s really expensive and you would be better off getting a BP/W. I think that’s the route I’ll go once I need a new BC.

I have HYDROS Pro,

It's very stylish BCD also packing is easy for trip.
But weight is not so light.
Don't have pocket so if want bring some accessories into water need use some idea.

For me backpocket use for weight pocket.
Original weight pocket use for signal float or current hook, grove etc..

Also you can see that forum.

But I still love my Hydros Pro.

Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped

I have HYDROS Pro,

It's very stylish BCD also packing is easy for trip.
But weight is not so light.
Don't have pocket so if want bring some accessories into water need use some idea.

For me backpocket use for weight pocket.
Original weight pocket use for signal float or current hook, grove etc..

Also you can see that forum.

But I still love my Hydros Pro.

Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped

Yes! Thanks for posting that thread. That is the thread I was referencing.

Back
Top Bottom