Scubapro Hydros - does it handle enough weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapnBloodbeard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
G'day Scubapro Hydros fans (Hail Hydros! I'm not even sorry)....

This is one of the models on my shortlist - but I heard from one shop owner that he's seen a number of them come back with a broken shoulder strap connection, and he put it down to them not handling as much weight as some other models. I'm in Melbourne, so we're talking about the weight required for a 7mm or a drysuit.

Anybody have any insight into this?

When the Hydros first came out the shoulder straps did have problems with breaking in rare cases. That was corrected quite some time ago. I’ve witnessed many people diving with one in a drysuit using lots of weight with no issues.

The backplate and wing (BP/W) mentioned above is a good idea, but some don’t want it, making the Hydros a good option for something similar.

I've been in a Hydros for a year and a half and train at a quarry with a long steep walk from the staging area to the water. Fully loaded the Hydros handles the weight well and is showing no signs of wear. Weight 10-20 lbs plus cylinder.

As already mentioned, early models had a strap issue that has since been corrected. In normal use I don't believe weight is a concern. However I think you have to look at your real world usage. If you are boat diving and crew are frequently handling your gear, you have to consider how they handle it. The Hydros Pro has a built-in handle, which if used will make for a happy BCD. However if the crew are handling it like just any other BCD and frequently picking it up by the shoulder straps with it fully laden then IMHO the straps may have a shorter lifespan, especially if you have a good amount of weight in there..

If you switch out the regular set up for the "travel harness" the Hydros basically is a BP/W. Albeit with a sticky monprene backplate and a wing that doesn't absorb water. Oh, and pretty expensive but I love mine and it certainly makes for easy traveling.

I had a hydros briefly, but the sticky monoprene drove me to a standard BP/W which I find FAR easier to get on/off.

I suggest you consider a heavier stainless BP with your drysuit diving, which will require less lead to be carried.

If all you'll be doing is drysuit, then yeah, mos def go with an anchor backplate.

Also, I appreciate the intent behind the suggestions, but I'm not getting a BP/W

As already mentioned, early models had a strap issue that has since been corrected. In normal use I don't believe weight is a concern. However I think you have to look at your real world usage. If you are boat diving and crew are frequently handling your gear, you have to consider how they handle it. The Hydros Pro has a built-in handle, which if used will make for a happy BCD. However if the crew are handling it like just any other BCD and frequently picking it up by the shoulder straps with it fully laden then IMHO the straps may have a shorter lifespan, especially if you have a good amount of weight in there..

That's a good point. yeah, most of my diving will probably be liveaboards....but we're also talking once a year (plan to start doing some semi-reg local dives, beach/jetty).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom