Scubapro Galileo Luna for sidemount diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JanK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, after *long* 10 years of no activity on this board and almost no diving! In the meanwhile I've had a kid, started riding a motorcycle, quit my job,.. and have started diving again. I like to learn and the resort where I'm going this October offers a sidemount course, which I intend to take. Obviously you have two separate first and second stages and manometers.

When diving backmount I use the Galileo Luna to keep track of the air pressure in the single tank with the high pressure sensor. I was wondering if it's possible, using the (P)redictive (M)ulti (G)as upgrade, to do the same for double tanks? From what I've seen in the PMG upgrade manual, this upgrade is not intended to use as I want, instead it is intended to use with different gasses for different depths. In fact, the manual specifies that you cannot set two tanks to have MODs that differ by less than 3m and that the second tank is more or less implicitly a deco tank with a higher O2 fraction/lower MOD.

So, I suppose I've answered my question? What would be possible is to use the second remote sensor as a "buddy" tank sensor and manually switch over. Would that "drive the computer crazy", thinking that I've died, after switching over to "buddy" sensor? Any thoughts?

Do you really want to have to manually switch your computer every time you switch regs? I dive SM. This sounds extremely cumbersome. You’ve got enough going on that you don’t need to add to it. Instructor might not even allow it.

If you don’t have a *real* SM capable computer - Shearwater Perdix/Teric, Suunto Eon Core (?), and maybe one other - don’t even bother. Just use SPGs.

I should have perhaps added more context. Currenly I'm not planning to switch to sidemount, this will be just a "fun thing to try out" during vacation. I'm not yet diving enough to justify changing over, buying a new set of regulators, BCD,... If/when that happens a new computer will also be in order. But for now that is also an expense that is not justified.

So, this was more in the sense of: Can I borrow another pressure sender from the dive center or my dealer and get something sensible out of my current computer.

But thanks for the answers anyway, it's nice to see the options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom