Scubapro G250HP vs. S600 (and R190 vs. R380)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebanded goby

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a new reg and am giving serious thought to a Scubapro Mk25 first stage, with either a G250HP or S600 as the primary second stage, and an R190 or R380 as the backup second stage.

I gather the G250[HP] is the mainstay of the Scubapro line that a lot of other regs are compared to. However, my interest was caught by the S600, which is about $45 more but which is noticeably smaller. A smaller reg is good in my book, if performance, reliability, etc, are all otherwise the same.

Likewise, the R190 seems popular as a backup, but from photos the R380 appears to be somewhat smaller.

The LDS owner tells me the G250 and S600 are "pretty much the same" on the inside, and he seems to favor the G250 because it's more of a standard.

If it makes any difference, I'd be wearing these DIR-style with the primary on a 7-foot house and the backup on a bungee necklace.

Since they don't seem to be quite as common I'd particularly be interested in hearing from any S600 or R380 users.

Some of my DIR friends prefer Apeks regs, but I hear they are not as smooth-breathing as the Scubapros -- perhaps not as much a factor at signficant depths on helium, but a consideration for me since I'd mostly be well under 100 fsw on nitrox.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I dive the S600 and R380 and have no complaints with them. I also have them bungied and on the long hose they seem to work well for this.

Good luck in your shopping.

Chad

I have the S600, R380 and the G250 ( NOT the
G250HP. )

As I understand it the S600, G500, G550 and G250HP
are all very similar internally ( I am not a tech )

On the R380/R190 choice I would choose the R380 as
I have it on my bungee and like the smaller profile
under my chin.

The G250 vs S600 is a more difficult choice and though
it's older I find myself liking the G250 better in terms
of breathing. Also, I like it's larger size better for some reason
as a primary. When I clip it off or donate air with it the
size seems better somehow.

Apeks are good too but I love the hose routing on mk20/25
first stages.

You may want to purchase used and get them serviced and
save some money.

Kell

I've got all the regs that you mentioned and really like them all.

My S600 and G250HP breath the same, I can't tell a difference. They are 99% similiar on the inside. (I'm a SP tech) I use my S600 as my usual primary because I prefer the smaller size. Either one is great but I comes down to do you want a smaller or larger reg.

The R190 and R380 are 99% the same too. Just a size difference. However, for some reason, the R380 seems to breath better. I don't know why but it does. I use the R380 over the R190 now.

The Mk25 is a great reg, I have two of them and they have always worked great. The Mk16 is an excellent reg and breathes just like the Mk25 to me. One of my students just bought a Mk16/550 combo with a R190 backup and they breath awesome.

The G250HP and the S600 are essentially the same reg. They have the same guts (except the S600 actually has the VIVA knob that clicks.) The Scubapro Rep told me the other day that in recent tests the G250HP has, at times, been known to out perform the S600 (but you aren't supposed to know that :D )

The R190 and R380 are also the same reg internally. The only real difference is the size and that, as a primary, you can get a R380 with a Mk16 first stage.

The S600 is a great reg. And the G250 is also. I have all of the SP regs. and I like them all. I use each one for diffrent diving profiles.
I just got a Poseidon and it dose NOT work as good as my ScubaPro.

The person with small hands and facial features might prefer the S600. However, the G250HP has a larger diaphragm and will always be somewhat more stable than its smaller cousin.

I'm have MK25-S550 and MK16-R190. I use to have R380, but it's much easier to breathe with R190. S600,G250hp- both are great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom