Scubapro G250 or S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdavo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently using a Mk15 with G250 primary and R190 octo. My shop told me that Scubapro isn't selling Mk15 service kits anymore, so I picked up a used Mk25 with S600. I plan to replace the Mk15 with the Mk25 when the Mk15 starts showing signs of needing service.

The question I have is about second stages. After collecting various used regulator sets, I have these four second stages to work with: 2x G250; R190; and S600. I have been very happy with the performance of the Mk15/G250. Will the Mk25/S600 provide the same performance, or should I sell the S600 and use the pair of G250s as my primary and octo? Both G250s are the older, non-HP versions.

S600 will be similar, but personal preference on the two. I would personally use a pair of G250's, but that's just me. Nice thing with the G250's is you can get service kits from @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose and he has repair videos on youtube and the manuals online so you can take care of all of that yourself. First stage you'll have to sort out with a shop or buy the kits on Ebay if you want to self service.
Nothing wrong with any of those regs though, so use what you like the best

I own both, and would tend toward the g250. More on simplicity, and for me, better cold water performance. The larger diaphragm supposedly is better, but unless you are a machine, I am doubtful that one could tell the difference.

Both are good, I just like one better than the other....

YMMV

I won't be much help but I have both and I love both. Whenever I dive with one, I miss the other and vice versa.

Thanks @tbone1004 for the hints about servicing videos. Most of my SPs are under parts for life program but I'm still going to take a peak at those videos.

Thanks for the replies. I've read that some S600s have a metal air barrel and some have a plastic air barrel, with the metal air barrels being superior performers. Is there an easy way to tell if mine has a metal or plastic air barrel?

Thanks for the replies. I've read that some S600s have a metal air barrel and some have a plastic air barrel, with the metal air barrels being superior performers. Is there an easy way to tell if mine has a metal or plastic air barrel?

I just had a Gen 2 swapped out for the metal as well as some other upgrades. You can find some info here.
Comparing S600 versions

I have a S600 and a G250 on my main reg set. Cant go wrong with either imo.

@kgdiver Thanks, that's an informative thread.

Am I understanding correctly that the S600 "seat saver" feature means that the LP seat is not contacting the orifice when the reg is not pressurized? That would mean I couldn't dunk the reg set in my rinse tank after a dive because it would flood with water. Seems like a terrible feature.

@kgdiver Thanks, that's an informative thread.

Am I understanding correctly that the S600 "seat saver" feature means that the LP seat is not contacting the orifice when the reg is not pressurized? That would mean I couldn't dunk the reg set in my rinse tank after a dive because it would flood with water. Seems like a terrible feature.

No, it has no such feature, dunk away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom