Scubapro freeflow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read a lot of info on this board about regulators. I had decided on a set of Apeks regs, but local availability and service isn't really there. So now I'm investigating the Scubapro line, finding it's available everywhere, but I read that they freeflow in cold water.

My longterm goal is to do drysuit diving in cold mountain lakes where the water temp could be in the low 40s or even the 30s. I know any regulator can freeflow in those conditions, but what I'm wondering is if there is a particular reason people talk about Scubapro regs freeflowing.

I'm considering purchasing a Scubapro set instead of the Apeks DS4/TX50 I've been eyeing for what seems like forever. For these conditions, what should I be looking at? The G250? Or something a bit different? Or should I stick to ordering my Apeks from Canada and just ship it out for annual servicing?

Thanks.

MK25/S550. I have had it freeflow. The key for me was to have it detuned, then it worked fine. Again this year after my annual service, I forgot to tell them to tune it down. It freeflowed. Got it corrected and its been fine. Several dives in water down to 39 degrees.

Julie

We had experienced a series of free flows (4 or 5) with SP Mk25/S600 regulators last year. All the incidents were amazingly within 4 days of another and in the cold winter water of southern Illinois, Mermt Springs to be exact (water temps was 40-41F). All regs were outfitted with the AF kits (now standard on Mk25s) and very slightly detuned. Don't know any body who has had a problem yet.

Judging by others' experience havnig them freeflow, I would stay away from the SP line for this type of diving. There is not the end of the world after SP and Apeks though (although they are good regs). What about a sherwood. I had my old blizzard in that same high 30's range and it never skipped a beat. Although I am completely entrusting in my Apeks, I don't know how much you are willing to do to get them. The place where you are getting it will not be able to honour your warranty if they are shipping it to you or, internet buying so I would investigate the future a little more closely. Keep in mind though that they only need the service every 2 years...

Milage varies on the freeflow issue with the Mk 25. I dove a Mk 25 D400 with low pressure tanks for about 130 dives last season in high mountain lakes with bottom temps in the mid 30's to mid 40's without any freeflows at all. During this same period however a frequent dive buddy tried a Mk 25 S600 with 3000 psi tanks and froze up on 4 of 5 dives with me.

But in my experience, installing the full AF kit (standard on new regs) lowering the IP to 120 psi and detuning the second stage slightly seems to pretty much eliminate the concerns as long as you are using a low pressure tank and use good cold water procedures. I also think the G250 is better suited to cold water than the S600.

Wijbrandus:
So now I'm investigating the Scubapro line, finding it's available everywhere, but I read that they freeflow in cold water.QUOTE]

I'm a new diver and as such have read a lot of posts on this board, asked a lot of questions on the board and generally done a lot of research on regs and other gear.

Here is what I have come up with. SP is not environmentally sealed, does not have a heat sync in the secondary, and does free flow when cold, unless it has been modified.

I'm buying the Zeagle DSIV with the ZX secondary. Why? Simple, it is the opposite of SP and does not need modification to make it work.

Also, if you do not have a Zeagle dealer where you live, you can go to www.zeagle.com and find out what web sites are truly authorized dealers. Some are.

Zeagle has a life time warranty on their gear, including their BC's.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Brian

Mechanically they are essentially identical with the S600 just being a smaller late configuration G250HP using a smaller diaphragm. But from a practical/experiential standpoint the S600 appears to be more prone to freeflows in cold water than a G250 HP.

The earlier G250 configurations use a metal air barrel which improves heat transfer and make them even more suitable for cold water use. Plus they are not as prone to giving you a case of drymouth.

So it sounds like a Mk25/G250 is a sound selection, based on this input then?

I've been doing more reading on the regulators, and I was already heading this way. Many people seem to be happy with it.

Thanks a bunch. Now it's just a matter of finding the right price.

I dive a primarily a MK-14 / G250HP and have for years. It's a great reg set generally but it likes to free flow when water temps are 33-34 deg especially when its been sitting in air in the teens or lower (8 deg on the last ice dive).

now I dive a Poseidon for ice but use the SP for everything else.

I will turn it over to my kids when my new Apeks ATX200 comes in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom