Scubapro Dive-n-Roll luggage - repairing broken wheel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Para Goon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few years ago my SP Dive-N-Roll bag had some rough handling by American Airlines that resulted in one of the wheel axles being bent to point where it broke the plastic wheel and it would no longer roll. The plastic outer flange of the wheel was cracked as seen in the attached picture. Checking with SP for replacement parts was a dead-end. I've also checked with my local Harbor freight for any equivalent 4.5 inch diameter wheel, but no luck. I can find lots of smaller diameter replacement wheels. Which may be a clue why they changed the wheels in the newer version of the bag.

I'm now considering machining the broken part off, and increasing the radius of the axle hole to fit an axle sleeve. I'm soliciting SB for other practical ideas before I call in favors at my local motorcycle machine shop.

Has anyone else on SB had this issue and were able to successfully repair the wheels of a SP Dive-n-Roll bag?

Thanks.

Attachments

• SP_Dive-n-Roll_BrokenWheel.jpg
    SP_Dive-n-Roll_BrokenWheel.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 138
I gave up on my search for a replacement wheel. I've made an attempt to repair the plastic frame with a Marineweld from J-B Weld. I first compressed the broken portions together with a clamp and filled the entire space surrounding the axle hole with the Marineweld. After a couple of days of curing, I installed the wheel, loaded the Dive-n-roll with ~65 pounds of weight, and placed it on my treadmill for a trial run. Went for over a mile at various speeds, and seemed to hold up fine. Of course, the real test will be with the luggage Gorillas on our next dive trip.

SP_Dive-n-Roll-JBWeld-1.JPG

If it ever gives up again, a 110 or 115mm scooter or speedskating wheel should work as a stronger upgrade, depending on the axle size. Those wheels use "608" bearings with 5/16in axles.

If it ever gives up again, a 110 or 115mm scooter or speedskating wheel should work as a stronger upgrade, depending on the axle size. Those wheels use "608" bearings with 5/16in axles.

Thank you for the recommendation! I don't know why these didn't come across in my search, but that's exactly what I was looking for. If my repair job fails, I now know about an alternative!

AA damaged one of my wheels, I filed a claim, and they arranged for Rynns Luggage to repair it. I just received the bag with repaired wheel:

Rynns Luggage
1808 MONETARY LN
CARROLLTON, TX, 75006, United States

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom