Scubapro DIN conversion kits: 200 vs 300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angelo Farina

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have just purchased the DIN conversion kit for my "almost vintage" Scubapro MK15 1st stage, originally equipped with a 3000 PSI Yoke.
This is the Ebay auction I won, for SP part no. 10.045.020:
KIT DIN SCUBAPRO 200BAR 10.045.020 | eBay
s-l500.jpg

Now, I see that SP also manufactured a very similar kit, part no. 10.045.030, featuring the "300 bar" version of the DIN connection, which is identical but has a longer threaded part.
SCUBAPRO conversion kit, Univ., INT/DIN 300 Bar - 10.045.030 | eBay

My 15-liters Cressi tank, almost 30 years old, is equipped with an H-valve featuring two DIN 200 bar valves, so the kit I bought will definitely work with it.
But I am wondering if, when travelling and getting tanks from local dive centres, there is the risk that the available tanks are equipped with 300-bars DIN valves...
What I see around are usually valves which can accept both yoke and DIN regs, and with a screw-in plug which must be removed, using an hex key, for mounting a DIN reg.
Something similar to this one:
bombola-sub-Coltri-15-litri-rubinetteria-con-doppio-_57.jpg

I am supposing that all these dual-purpose valves are 200 bar.
Is this true?
Are you aware of places where 300-bar DIN valves are in use, and hence I need a 300-bar DIN regulator for using them?

The 300 bar is for use with higher pressure tanks. Not sure where the cutoff is, since that is less common in the US. The tanks you see with spinout inserts are definitely 200 bar - no such thing as a yoke conversion for a 300 bar valve/cylinder.

A 300 bar 1st stage can be used on a 200 bar valve, but not the reverse.

only usual cases are 3500 psi steel tanks in north america and 300 bar steels in europe

only usual cases are 3500 psi steel tanks in north america and 300 bar steels in europe
Yeah, now that I think about the current DOT requirement is at 3500 psi, which is why so many current "high pressure" tanks have a service pressure of 3450. I don't know where the EU draws the line though.

Edit: I should clarify the 3450/3500 demarcation is for the use of yokes. So 300bar valves start at 3500, in order to eliminate the possibility of attaching a yoke with a DIN adapter.

Most tanks here are 200 or 232 bars. I think that 232 bars are 3350 PSI. Never seen anything at higher pressure here, or at Maldives.
And definitely all the valves I have seen have the hex threaded insert for accepting also INT regulators, so I assume that they are 200 bar DIN when the insert is removed.
Also because I do not see similar inserts for 300 bar DIN valves, they seem to be not compatible with INT regulators, hence substantially unknown in any place I have seen.
Here in Europe the standard valves are double-function INT-DIN, thanks to the hex threaded insert.
The typical tank here is 15 liters and is equipped with an H-valve featuring two dual-purpose INT-DIN attachments.
The J-valve with mechanical reserve has almost disappeared, although this is the one mounted on my 30-years old cylinder. Albeit being very old, this had still two independent valves, and two dual-function INT-DIN outputs.
So I suppose that I will have no problems with that DIN 200 conversion kit.
I was asking if these newer 300-bars DIN valves are used elsewhere (in US-aligned countries), but it appears this is not the case. So in practice getting the 300-bar DIN conversion kit is not required, the 200-bar version should work the same.

The Scubapro universal DIN kit (code 10.045.020) arrived yesterday, today I mounted it on my SP Mark15, and it works perfectly.
I can confirm that, despite being the 200bar version, it fits perfectly all the valves I can see here in our shops.
So I confirm that the 300 bar version is substantially useless, as it is impossible to find cylinders equipped with Din300 valves.

That’s only theory. I have seen 200/232 bar tanks in Mexico with 300 bar valves. Aluminum 80 cft stage with 300 bar valve. A set of doubles with a 200 bar + 300 bar valve.

I do have 200 and 300 bar Scubapro regulators. When I pick 2 sets of doubles and 2 stages for 2 dives it’s important to pick 200 bar valves for me otherwise there can be a problem when I want to attach my regulators to my tanks.

That’s only theory. I have seen 200/232 bar tanks in Mexico with 300 bar valves. Aluminum 80 cft stage with 300 bar valve. A set of doubles with a 200 bar + 300 bar valve.

I do have 200 and 300 bar Scubapro regulators. When I pick 2 sets of doubles and 2 stages for 2 dives it’s important to pick 200 bar valves for me otherwise there can be a problem when I want to attach my regulators to my tanks.
I think that says more about Mexico than it does about the global likelihood of 300 bar valves.

The Scubapro universal DIN kit (code 10.045.020) arrived yesterday, today I mounted it on my SP Mark15, and it works perfectly.
I can confirm that, despite being the 200bar version, it fits perfectly all the valves I can see here in our shops.
So I confirm that the 300 bar version is substantially useless, as it is impossible to find cylinders equipped with Din300 valves.
Useless? No.
Pointless? I think yes.
A 300 bar 1st stage can be used with a 200 bar valve - there will just be a few exposed threads. What you can NOT do is use a 200 bar 1st stage with a 300 bar valve.

... So I confirm that the 300 bar version is substantially useless, as it is impossible to find cylinders equipped with Din300 valves.

I would not make such a absolute statement.
I agree, at least in Germany, there are mostly 200 / 232 bar Valves around. But 300 Bar happens. My SO is for example diving a Twin 7 l 300 Bar Setup. And I saw at least one 300 Bar Valve on a 232 Bar Tank. I am happy that my first stages are 300Bar that way they will fit what ever Valve i come around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom