Scubapro Balanced Adjustable - have you seen this version?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kupu

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was searching the net in hopes of stumbling across a Mark X Dual Balanced second stage for sale, no luck, maybe one day. But, I found an unfamiliar version of the Balanced Adjustable for sale on ebay Italy and wondered if anyone knows of it or can help decipher the serial number to provide date of manufacture etc? 80619 01063 is printed above the mouthpiece. There are a few more numbers stamped close to the cover clamp, but can't see all of them. Could it be a more current version of the Dual Balanced?

It appears to have a seat saver of similar design to the AIR1 key? Also the plastic spacer between the adjustment knob and body is new to me. Tempted to go buy a couple lottery tickets, cause winning a few hundred dollars is the only way I could justify buying it at well over $400.

BA Italy2.jpg BA Italy.jpg

Looks like a late model satin BA with chrome cover, there are numerous variations:combinations floating around. I've seen that variant before over here. I've bought several late model BAs with the seat saving key.

After your reply, I went back thru the BA diagrams and noticed the key version going back to at least 1988. Something I had not noticed before. Thanks for the information!

Yeah, the key wasn't that uncommon, just got lost easily... I have 2 or three. They also came up with a teardrop tab to stick in, but due to the non-symmetrical shape, it distorted the diaphragm cover in long term use...

That satin body is interesting. The double row serial numbers as well as the knob style make me think it is from very late in production. The silkscreen printed cover was around in the early 90's. The lettering rarely lasted...

Distortion from the teardrop seat saver would explain the flat on one side diaphragm cover on a 109 I recently bought.

Do the satin finished versions tend to have the larger exhaust valve? I have been wondering if there is any way to guess which ones will have the larger exhaust valve when having nothing but a photo to look at.

I didn't know there was ever a change in the exhaust valve size on the 109/156. I thought the change was in the early/late 108/108HP...

Distortion from the teardrop seat saver would explain the flat on one side diaphragm cover on a 109 I recently bought.

Do the satin finished versions tend to have the larger exhaust valve? I have been wondering if there is any way to guess which ones will have the larger exhaust valve when having nothing but a photo to look at.

IIRC all I've owned had the larger valve.

I didn't know there was ever a change in the exhaust valve size on the 109/156. I thought the change was in the early/late 108/108HP...
I was thinking I have seen reference to a few of the B/A with a G250 sized exhaust valve vs a smaller valve in most of the 109/156? That was the reason I was digging around for the Mark X Dual Balanced version as it was mentioned as having the larger valve.

I just took a peek inside a G250 and B/A to compare exhaust valves. Looks like 33mm on the G250 vs 29mm on the B/A.
edit: 26mm on 108 that appears to be late version.

I was searching the net in hopes of stumbling across a Mark X Dual Balanced second stage

"Mark X Dual Balanced" was a combination of a MK10 (balanced piston first stage) and a Balanced Adjustable (aka 156) second stage. I don't think they were sold in the US market, so Europe will be your best bet at finding one. But who knows? I have seen them for sale on eBay US a few times.

Edit: Contact the member who had this one for sale:
For Sale - ScubaPro BA 156 "Mark X Dual Balanced"

BTW I have a few excellent MK10s for sale that would go very well with that (or any) second stage. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom