Scubapro Air2 (4th-gen) versus 2012 Scubapro R295

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubbzilla

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I am in need of a backup regulator (ie. an octopus). I am looking to spend $100-200. The two options I am looking at so far are the R295 and the Air2.
I can find the R295 for ~$100 and the Air2 for ~$150.
I have a Mark25 Scubapro first stage.

I have used the R295 before and it works great. That said an inflator air source means one less hose which is tempting.

With the following considerations in mind, I am hoping someone can guide me one way or the other:
-What would be ideal to a distressed diver in a true emergency situation?​
-It can be difficult to use the Air2 as a deflator while using it to breath (that said, I have a right shoulder dump)​
-The Air2 is intended to be used by the air provider while the out of air diver uses the primary second stage.​
-The primary regulator house should be replaced with a 3' hose.​
-The Air2 is attached with a quick release hose rather then a threaded hose​

Any advice or suggestions (such as alternative regulators from these two) would be great.

this will get ugly......

I use a conventional rig and my wife uses an Air2. They both work fine. The conventional rig leave you with a wider set of configuration options than an Air2. The PITA is mostly on me as I get to carry all our spare gear which must cover both rigs. I started with an Air2 but found it interfered with slinging a pony tank when I was solo diving.

Not ugly yet.:D

:deadhorse:

I have a Mark25 Scubapro first stage.

I have used the R295 before and it works great. That said an inflator air source means one less hose which is tempting.

With the following considerations in mind, I am hoping someone can guide me one way or the other:
-What would be ideal to a distressed diver in a true emergency situation?​
-It can be difficult to use the Air2 as a deflator while using it to breath (that said, I have a right shoulder dump)​
-The Air2 is intended to be used by the air provider while the out of air diver uses the primary second stage.​
-The primary regulator house should be replaced with a 3' hose.​
-The Air2 is attached with a quick release hose rather then a threaded hose​

Any advice or suggestions (such as alternative regulators from these two) would be great.
Either one is an excellent choice. It is really a matter of personal preference.

Buy both and try them out to see which one you prefer. Then sell the one you eliminate. I would go with a longer than 36 in primary hose though. 40 inches with a 90 degree elbow at the second stage if you want it under your arm. At least 5 feet if you're going under arm/across chest/around back of neck.

You'll also find a flexible braided hose makes the AIR 2 much easier to manage than a stiffer hose.

I want my AAS to supply more air than I can possibly use because I'm only going to use it in some kind of an emergency situation. An Air 2 is a compromise solution. Compare the published air delivery figures and you can see that the most basic SP second stage will deliver half as much again as the Air 2. R295 1400 lpm, Air 2 906 lpm.

I love my Air2, and I use it (or the same sort of thing from a different company) on my rental sets.

But in order to properly use it, you have to commit to donating your primary. Since donating the primary is a standard practice even to technical diving, you will actually be doing the same thing in an (out of air) OOA situation that super pro divers do.

But to make that work, you need to use a longer hose on your primary. That means to handle that extra length of the primary, you will need to route that primary hose under your arm, which then means you need a swivel for the second stage to handle that routing.

My own setup: Air2*, and then a 40" underarm hose with a 70 degree or a 90 degree swivel next to the second stage. You can also go up to a 60" hose but then you will have to work out hose routing around the head.

There are no difficulties with using the exhaust on the Air2 when the Air2 is in your mouth since you will be looking up anyway.

Back
Top Bottom