Scubajet for paralyzed diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJR

New
Reaction score
I've been getting into diving (two dives away from OW) and looking at something to replace fins. I have significant paralysis so I'm unable to use my legs to propel. I'm comfortable once I'm in the water, but I don't like not being able to move much and just drifting. I've been trying the webbed gloves which aren't great and take a lot of work.

Has anyone here tried ScubaJet? (SCUBAJET - Dive - your diver propulsion vehicle)

I don't need to go fast. Just enough to keep up with my buddy, explore the reefs and have some independence. I'm also considering a Sub-gravity AquaProp. I'd use either one to tow me.

The biggest pain for either option will be traveling with a battery. They each make travel-safe versions but they don't last long (45 min - 60 min). I'll be in Oahu in August and want to hop over to Maui for a few days too. I'll have to ship the batteries ahead of time, right?

Some would suggest a Piranha P1, which can use NIMH tool batteries, but it is way more expensive. But, it's a "for real" DPV. That's a different category though.

I'd never heard of the Scubajet. Interestingly, and maybe I'm 100% off base, but it looks like a kickstarter toy. I'd be worried about whether it meets its claims and whether there's any support for it in six months. I'm gonna call b.s. right now on the claim that it can propel a diver at 5mph.

I have an Aquaprop on order, actually, for travel. With the NIMH battery, you can fly with it and you can always get a spare battery. Supposedly 75 minutes on low speed, which should get you through a dive. I'd be more comfortable with the Bonex/Subgravity product, for sure.

Thanks! Yes, the ScubaJet was once a kickstarter 3-4 years ago. They delivered the kick starter campaign in 2016 and have been in business since then. I'm working with them on modifying one for my needs. Their sales guy lives in my neck of the woods so it's convenient for me. I plan to rent one for an upcoming dive to try it.

If there was a place I could rent a AquaPropL I could try it and know more. I think it would be quieter. But it's also more bulky and I think will be too fast on it's slowest speed. I also suspect it will be more difficult for me to use with the trigger because all my fingers are also affected by my injury. Does anyone know of a place in Southern California I could rent an AquaProp?

FWIW, I dove with a guy in Key Largo who was paralyzed from the waist down. He dove side mount so he could put his gear on in the water and for propulsion he used webbed gloves, no DPV.

I think a DPV is a great idea, but for a backup I would really consider the webbed gloves. You wouldn't want a situation where the DPV failed and you now have no way to propel yourself.

Also more expensive, but there was a cylinder-mounted unit made by Pegasus. You control it with a remote and it is travel friendly.

I can't vouch for it. I just remember some buzz a few years ago. I think Backscatter sells them.

The ScubaJet was introduced in 2017. There is probably a very good reason nobody has heard of it. In fact, you can't even find one for sale anymore in the US from the places the ScubaJet website lists as "dealers," for example LeisurePro.

There are two ScubaJet dealers in my area where I can buy one. One has one on display only and can place an order. The other dealer can order as well and has one I can rent for a day.

I agree ScubaJet isn't well known though. My dislike is the travel-battery only has a run-time of ~45 min. So I'd need to have two batteries and swap between dives.

I'd be wary of a "Dive" scooter that only shows freedivers using it on their website.

There was another small dpv sold once - Armjet. I've never seen one in use other than in promo videos

They're very expensive but could you conttol Jetboots with your leg limitations? P3M JETBOOTS

Interesting. I'd not heard of armjet. Seems even more rare than scubajet and more bulky.

Unfortunately I have no control over my legs so jetboots are a no-go.

I've been getting into diving (two dives away from OW) and looking at something to replace fins. I have significant paralysis so I'm unable to use my legs to propel. I'm comfortable once I'm in the water, but I don't like not being able to move much and just drifting. I've been trying the webbed gloves which aren't great and take a lot of work.

Has anyone here tried ScubaJet? (SCUBAJET - Dive - your diver propulsion vehicle)

I don't need to go fast. Just enough to keep up with my buddy, explore the reefs and have some independence. I'm also considering a Sub-gravity AquaProp. I'd use either one to tow me.

The biggest pain for either option will be traveling with a battery. They each make travel-safe versions but they don't last long (45 min - 60 min). I'll be in Oahu in August and want to hop over to Maui for a few days too. I'll have to ship the batteries ahead of time, right?

I have three Scubajets for my personal use only. its light weight, small size and strong thrust are a good choice. However, it is easy to enter the water, and the operating part of the trigger is easy to cause muscle pain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom