Scubaclub Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question regarding SCC, my wife are staying there the second week in March. We will arrive probably about 7:00pm on Sunday. We have never stayed at an AI, and heard good things about SCC. Should we skip the Monday morning dive and do a couple of shore dives, or is the pace on the dive boat slow and easy enough for us to do a bouyancy check and get acclimated in the water? Thanks!

since you are arriving after the dive shop closes for the day, you can't check in until morning anyhow. There is paperwork to fill out plus getting your weights, etc. They will not mind if you skip the boat dives that day and just shore dive. Just talk to them about it that morning when you check in..

Here is the shore dive area: [vimeo]11565537[/vimeo]

bring a lock (combo locks work best) and pick out a locker. We always get one down by the shore dive area.

2012Coz_SCC214.jpg

then just carry over your tanks, gear up... and walk down the stairs.
2014_Cozumel_topside441.JPG

You might ask if they keep bolt cutters handy for those who lose keys & combinations, but a good blow from a hammer will often open one.

You might ask if they keep bolt cutters handy for those who lose keys & combinations, but a good blow from a hammer will often open one.

They do have bolt cutters... salt water is hard on cheap locks :blush:

Get a locker on the top tier as it will be a bit drier. If the wind is such that the port is open you can get in a dive. Or two when you get there. The shore dive is great for macro and very easy. Giant stride off the dock and exit at one of the ladders. If the wind is blowing the right direction you can use the steps as shown. When I was there last month that area was a salad bowl. Even if it is clear it best to use the ladders at night as the urchins love the stair area.

We have luggage locks on all of our travel luggage so we each use one of those. I prefer the lockers by the dive shop, but you can change locations during the week. Those who do a lot of shore diving like the lockers on the other side by the pool. I like the hammocks after lunch. :cool2:

Our first trip to SCC arrived on a Saturday night about 10pm. Got there just in time for dinner. Checked in when the dive shop opened on Sunday morning and they wanted us to do the Sunday boat dive but we said no we wanted to do some shore dives first. I also took the Buoyancy course and it was like a guided tour of the shore dive route that is posted above. We were then relaxed and ready to go on Monday morning. We were lucky as the weather co-operated and we got to dive Mon-Fri. But I understand their logic. If the weather was bad; we would have missed one of our 5 days of boat diving and there is no refund.

On other trips we were comfortable to just go out on the Sunday morning; but we were going 3x a year and felt good with the routine and our weights, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom