ScubaBoard - The new dive club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saniflush

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So @Capt Jim Wyatt made a statement in another thread about the great thing about Scubaboard was that there were so many people that are willing to share their knowledge and experiences with others. I completely agree and it's one of the reasons why I have enjoyed it here as much as what I have.

This then got me thinking about other places that I could (or could have) garnered the sheer amounts of knowledge and experiences that I am able to draw from here? Being overall pretty new to the dive culture (four years) I don't have experiences with some of the things that I'm told were big in the past like dive clubs where there was an active mentoring that happened between old and new divers.

I am really fortunate that not only did the dive bug bite me but that I am also able to dive pretty regularly and I believe am turning into a pretty good diver overall. However, I would not be anywhere close to where I am mentally if it were not ScubaBoard and the internet overall when researching questions that pop up including parts of diving that I don't even do yet.

I guess my question through all of this is to the folks that came up through club diving or other areas where you gained knowldge (LDS, friends, figuring it out on your own). Based on your recollection is ScubaBoard and to a lesser degree the internet the new dive club for knowledge? We all realize that at the end of the day knowledge is good but you need time in the water to really put knowledge into practice so in that regard the LDS, dive clubs, and other outlets still serve a purpose. However, even though I have met only a couple of people off this board I have drawn knowledge from a LOT of people on here.

If you could follow my thoughts through my rambling what say you?

Dive Clubs have been evolving since the 1st one. There was a time it was one of the few ways to get tanks filled, members bought a compressor for the club. When I joined my 1st club it was to have dive buddies, turned out to be about much more than just buddies. I haven't been a dive club member for a few years now. The 2 clubs I belonged to closed down a few years ago. I'd say SB qualifies as a dive club, one can meet new dive buddies either locally or when traveling. I've had several SB members offer diving advice help in their location when I visited, even had the pleasure of diving with a few! I learn something almost every time I login. SB a dive club for the 21st century.

SB is definitely a dive club, also a repository for good information and a sometimes hangout for bums.

I do miss the physical dive clubs that we had in NY
The upper keys has nada.
Someone said this is attributed to locals having their own boats
Who knows if that is correct

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom