Scubaboard in Cuba... again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There's a new Scubaboard sticker in Cuba. For the 4th time, I left an SB mark at a new location on the Island, this time near Cienfuegos. This was my 6th trip actually.

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

this was our dive boat

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

and i didn't forget to leave a mark on it also

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

So now, if you dive on the Island, you'll be able to see the SB logo in Cienfuegos, Marea del Portillo, Santa Lucia and Trinidad.

cubamap.jpg

It sucks that Cuba/US relations are in the **** shape that they are. I would love to go to Cuba on vacation. I hear it was quite the island paradise back in the day...

Hows the diving?

That's great - now the Feds and the Dive Police will come after NetDoc! I would love to go (I know there are ways but I'm too much a "goodie to shoes and definately not a rule breaker). I have often said, once travel to Cuba is allowed - that's where I'll put my dive shop!

It sucks that Cuba/US relations are in the **** shape that they are. I would love to go to Cuba on vacation. I hear it was quite the island paradise back in the day...

Hows the diving?

diving is very nice. Coral formations are awesome. But large fish are pretty much absent near populated areas because people are hungry. Also, they dont have good coral protection practices, they drop the anchor at the bottom with a dragging line. Again, probably due to lack of money to install proper mooring systems

But cubans are very nice people. Upland, old cities look like they must have been very beautifull indeed but now are degrading at warp speed. I'll show pics of what I mean later.

That's great - now the Feds and the Dive Police will come after NetDoc! I would love to go (I know there are ways but I'm too much a "goodie to shoes and definately not a rule breaker). I have often said, once travel to Cuba is allowed - that's where I'll put my dive shop!

yep, SB stickers in Cuba and he travelled to Russia :shocked2: :D

I wont name names but I did see some discreet americans and dived with a few there. No SBers though.

Wonderful Eric :clapping:

Heh ... does look a little like the african queen doesn't it :wink:

How does dive equipment and safety equipment there look/available?

Wardric-- Does Cienfuegos or cuba in general offer any of those typical week long all inclusive dive packages? We spent 2 weeks in Varadero in '03 at a resort and noticed that there were day dive trips to Cienfuegos. I wasn't certified then. Do they allow collecting shells (live ones) on the dive boats in Cienfuegos?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom