Scuba travel fins, full foot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am preparing to go to Maui on the 24th and would like to take some decent full foot fins along.

For the past many years, I have been fighting weight issues with my gear and I am trying to trim that down.

In the past I have been bringing F1 open heel with boots, so I think this is an area where I can easily drop a few pounds.

The don't have to be near as stiff as the F1s, but I am not looking for flimsy either.

I will be both shore diving as well as some boat dives too.

So I am looking for some ideas that would meet these requirements.

Appropriate for scuba
Stiff enough
Full foot
Fairly light weight.

Thank you,

Keith

Mares Avanti Superchannel fit the bill. Light and decent power and comfortable foot bed. I got them a little big and wear Cressi 2.5mm sock.

Mares Avanti Superchannel fit the bill. Light and decent power and comfortable foot bed. I got them a little big and wear Cressi 2.5mm sock.

Thanks for the reply. What size shoe do you wear and what size fin did you get?

When i look at the large fin, I am surprised the shoe size is 8-9. I wear a 9.5. The next size is 9.5 - 10.5. I full size seems a bit more than "a little big"

I think they run a little big. I’m an 8.5 and the 8-9 fits nice and snug with sock. Full foot are great for travel, booties never dry in time for me to fly home.

I second the vote for the Scuba Pro Go. Haas a bungee strap but very comfortable in bare feet and easy to frog kick or back kick with.

Plus super light.

Note: the Go and Go Sport are different models. The Go Sport is bigger, heavier and designed to be worn over boots.

I'd go with either of the Scubapro Go fins. The Go Sport is used with boots but is very light and smaller in size but awesome in performance. I got rid of all other fins I had (well, they went to the training equipment fleet).

The Avanti Superchannels are great full-foot fins, but they are narrower and longer compared to the Scubapro Go's. The latter are lightweight and pack better because they are shorter. I used to use Avanti Quattro+ fins for warm water and drysuit diving (two different sizes), but switched to Apeks RK3s for drysuit and the Go Sports (meant to be worn with booties) for warm water diving. I'm glad I did. The shorter, wider paddle style fins pack better.

FWIW - I also went with full foot fins (ScubaPro Twin Jet) years ago to reduce weight - most of my diving is warmer water. Fins I took on a trip were dependent on water temps. After a trip to Kauai in 2019, I now also plan ahead to see if there are possibilities that I will do any shore dives. I had taken my full foot fins which was fine until my buddy didn't want to do the last of our 2 boat dives so we were able to swap them out for 2 shore dives at Koloa Landing - I was given no warning that the entry was rocky - rocks from the size of marbles to the size of bowling balls - thought I broke a couple of toes trying to walk out to a buoy. Didn't even think about it on a trip to the Big Island later that year - strap fins and boots!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom