Scuba Times Magazine Sept/Oct 1992

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadairiii

Contributor
Reaction score
That edition changed my diving, and it was literally "life changing". I had been diving for almost 20 years, was an Assit. Instructor and up to that time had no interest in "deep" diving. Then I picked up that mag at a dive shop (I liked Scuba Times) and read Tom Mount's article on the Hydro Atlantic, didnt even know who Tom Mount was. I thought, wow, a "real" wreck just up the road. Started asking around as to what boats went there, what the min/max depth was, started reading everything I could find on deep diving (Gentile/Gilliam) realized I need nitrox so went down to Key Largo and was certified by Dick R at Hyperbarics (IAND). All in all it took me 2 years from reading the article to actually stepping off the Reef Cat to dive it (mind you I was also just starting my law career). Blew my mind.

That led me down the rabbit whole of Tec diving, and over the next 20+ years I had the opportunity to get to know most of the leaders in tec diving (including Tom), meet some of my best friends now, do some amazing dives, and it keeps on giving! You never know when you read some obscure passage/article how your life may change.

Ahh the Reef Cat.. Fond memories.. Jimmy!
Like the smell of raw gasoline he had spilled (when "refueling") when you would surface from deco?

Ahh the Reef Cat.. Fond memories.. Jimmy!

Was Reef Cat Jim Mimm's boat? If so.......yes, very fond memories from back in the day diving with Jim (and the other "usual suspects" mentioned In the first post above)!

Was Reef Cat Jim Mimm's boat? If so.......yes, very fond memories from back in the day diving with Jim (and the other "usual suspects" mentioned In the first post above)!

Yep! Capt Jim. Ocean Diving was the epicenter of tech diving in the 90's down here!

I remember going down and doing the lowrance and hydro on a single tank several times (and probably on air too). Lots of stupidity in the day..

I remember going down and doing the lowrance and hydro on a single tank several times (and probably on air too). Lots of stupidity in the day..
Jim was my Tech Nitrox and Tech Deep Air instructor (1995). When I completed Tech Nitrox he told me I only needed one more deep air dive for my Tech Deep Air card, so the next week....solo dive on the Lowrance...on air of course....I think Jim was spear fishing on that final "check out dive", or just on the boat? Very proud of that card!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom