Scuba tank and Air tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunundrum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi Guys,

not sure where to ask this question, but this section seems to be the best fit...

For those who use scuba tanks to power air tools, What kind of flow do you experience ? any downside to this type of setup for someone that does not "need" an air tool compressor :D

I will use a scuba bottle (72) to power some air tools needed for short runs, but have used it over the course of a whole day. Mainly for nail and brad guns, which I am guessing only uses a small volume of gas.

I use a BC coupler screwed into an adjustable (tool) regulator on the start of the tool air line! This way I can use any one of the many older 1st stages I own. It just has to have an LP. hose attached.
I will try to post pics.
See you topside! John

Pic. Inline tool reg. Inline Tool Reg..jpg

hope this helps!
See you topside! John

Hi Guys,

not sure where to ask this question, but this section seems to be the best fit...

For those who use scuba tanks to power air tools, What kind of flow do you experience ? any downside to this type of setup for someone that does not "need" an air tool compressor :D

You would need to adjust your intermediate air pressure coming from the 1st stage to the desired pressure for the tool. The other problem is a lack of volume needed to run the tool for extended periods.

The bc inflator connection will deliver too low of a flow for many tools. I have used a pneumatic cut off wheel and a chisel very effectively underwater and on land. i just chop off a lp house, got a piece of steel tubing inserted into the hose and then with a little electrical tape around the other end of the tube, slipped it into the normal pneumatic air line. The id of the pneumatic hose is bigger than a scuba hose. Then SEVERAL small tight hose clamps and it has worked for years. The old USD aquarius regs have a scew on the first stage that can be used to adjust the pressure a little, but I don't mess with it.. seems to work ok for me.

It works just fine short term. I looked at Kunumdrum's link, and you may not need all that stuff. Just a first stage, and hose with adapters. Note your tools CFM usage and divide that into the tank size and you will get flat out runtime. 80 cf tank divided by 8 cfm tool will give you 10 minutes of runtime. The good news is you are not using the tool constantly. I have used an air hammer, that is about 4cfm (should give 20 minutes from a full 80.) I only need it for a few seconds at a time. Therefore, it goes a a long way. If you are blowing off something, you will get a short lived joy.

I don't plan on using a BC inflator connection as the flow is limited by this connection.

I have gotten ahold of one of these Adapter: 9/16 - 18M x 1/4 NPTM and can use a standard hose.

I don't need constant use as I only plan on using a impact wrench, some light media blasting and powder coat application.

I have an old conshelf 1st stage that I will be using and have access to as many 80/100cuf tanks as I want/need.

I'll be putting something together shortly and let you know how it turns out.

My Conshelf 21 first stage can have the IP adjusted by the user. Just an IP gauge of some sort and a screw driver is all you need.

I don't need constant use as I only plan on using a impact wrench, some light media blasting and powder coat application.
Not sure what you plan to use, but my media blaster takes an incredible amount of air volume to work.

I have an old conshelf 1st stage that I will be using and have access to as many 80/100cuf tanks as I want/need.
Are they free to refill? If not buying a pancake style compressor makes more sense. Especially if you have to buy a bunch of parts to make what you are trying to do work. The big box hardware stores like Home Depot etc. sell pancake compressors for under $100 on sale.

Mostly I use my scuba tanks for filling tires, and if I need to run an air tool away from home. Otherwise I have a nice compressor for home use. Then again my air needs are more than most since I have lots of air tools and use a blow gun often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom