Scuba Regulator Service & Maintenance | First Stage Apeks FSR XTX20 | Ep. 1 : Disassembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting the video!

I am in the early stages of servicing my own regulators, and have that exact model, so I found it very interesting and helpful.

Can we expect additional videos in the future?

Yes, I’m finalizing Ep 2 - Assembly and Ep 3 - Tuning the first stage. Will also be making similar videos for US4/DS4/DST first stages and 2nd stage disassembly/assembly and testing/tuning. Would appreciate it if you guys could Like and Subscribe the Youtube vid if it was helpful :). Thanks.

Yes, I’m finalizing Ep 2 - Assembly and Ep 3 - Tuning the first stage. Will also be making similar videos for US4/DS4/DST first stages and 2nd stage disassembly/assembly and testing/tuning. Would appreciate it if you guys could Like and Subscribe the Youtube vid if it was helpful :). Thanks.
Wow, that's great! I look forward to seeing them. Thanks for taking the time to do them.

I liked and subscribed on YouTube!

Very helpful to many, thank you. I too will like and subscribe.

Looking forward to the other videos. The threads on the environmental cap and diaphragm clamp seemed dry and sticking coming apart. Is that normal?

Looking forward to the other videos. The threads on the environmental cap and diaphragm clamp seemed dry and sticking coming apart. Is that normal?

Hi, yes, will publish more vids. Subs to my Youtube channel and to get notified when they come out.

The Environmental Cap and Diaphragm Clamp are not the easiest to unscrew even when new. It gets harder when the reg is heavily used in salt water. When screwing them in, they need to be tightened to a point where there is a “metal to metal” contact to ensure a proper seal. They require special tools, a C-Spanner and a 32/34mm Wrench to work with. Over time, micro salt deposits will find their way into the grooves even if the first stage is rinsed (never soaked unless pressurized) carefully in fresh water.

It is not uncommon for technicians to use a bit of controlled brute force to unscrew the Cap and Clamp by using a hammer to deliver a few sharp blows on the handle of the Spanner or Wrench to break the salt encrustment.

I don’t grease the threads with silicon and I don’t think it helps as dirt will accumulate and make it harder to unscrew during maintenance.

Nice very nice doctor

Quite a while between servicings for me so I pump all threads external of interior with DOW111

I'd be ditching those vinyl gloves before my fingernails rot and flesh falls off

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom