Scuba Police and/or rules committee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hypothetically speaking:
A husband and wife team set out to try for a 90 minute dive. They navigate all over the quarry (shallow 26ffw max, 21 ave). Find all the platforms and all but one boat. Navigate back to the "entry" platform (18 ffw for the record). 87 minutes. Husband is at 500psi. Breathes it down to 400. Wife and husband take the opportunity to practice air share drills. From her tank of course. She begins the buddy breathing about 1000psi, ends at 900psi. Dive is thumbed at 92 minutes. Does hubby get to count all 92 minutes?

Asking for a hypothetically jealous and bitter husband.

The hubby was in charge of the compass, but still hypothetically jealous of the wife's SAC.

In my book, the dive ends when one hits the surface.
Of course our lungs have different capacities.When I dive with my teenage daughter, her SAC is very low. He lungs are smaller. My wife also has smaller lungs. He should be happy that you are diving. He does not know how lucky he is to have family dive with him.

Sometimes when I am diving with someone who loves to "beat" me with better SAC, I secretly allow my reg to free flow near dive's end. Post dive when asked how much air I have left I round down to nearest 100 and the jealous person wins. I do of course chuckle silently.

Yes. Dive time is surface to surface, no matter where the breathing gas comes from. Lagoon II? And you still owe the spouse dinner. Hypothetically.

Yes. Dive time is surface to surface, no matter where the breathing gas comes from. Lagoon II? And you still owe the spouse dinner. Hypothetically.

Lagoon 1. Horrid vis, all things considered. But you can't cheat with the navigation which is nice for skills work. Made it the full length S to N and back with a couple of nav off shoots from the cooling tower. She seemed pretty pleased with the home made burgers. I would tend to agree with the dinner votes, however. If might have ended like some oxygen deprived scene from "Total Recall" if attempted without her.

What everyone else said. Your SAC is what it is for your physiology. On average, males will tend to consume more gas, don't sweat it. But I do think you still have to buy dinner. :D

I vote for all 92 minutes --But the wife??
SDM,III

She gets 92 minutes as well. And apparently a dinner. :)

Sometimes when I am diving with someone who loves to "beat" me with better SAC, I secretly allow my reg to free flow near dive's end. Post dive when asked how much air I have left I round down to nearest 100 and the jealous person wins. I do of course chuckle silently.

You, sir, are a true mentor.

I think hubby needs to declare wifey the better diver in all aspects and consider himself extremely lucky.

Back
Top Bottom