Scuba Pioneer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantaray95616

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,
This year (2024) I celebrated my 83rd birthday and 70 years as a certified scuba diver.

I was a Chief Training Officer with the Scottish Sub-Aqua Club and a certified instructor for the Association of Canadian Underwater Councils of Canada (ACUC). Currently I am an Instructor Emeritus with the National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI).

Over the years, equipment has changed and diver's freedom restricted in the name of safety but the physiology, knowledge requirements and basic training needs have not.

I will try to respond to questions that fall within my sphere of knowledge and experience and in return I hope to follow the most current trends and thinking related to this great sport.

PS. I am not familiar with posting on social media and hope this reaches the "Meet & Greet" Forum.

Currently I am an Instructor Emeritus with the National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI).
Welcome.
I am an Instructor Emeritus with NAUI also.
DM sent .

Welcome to the board!!
I would love to hear stories about how training was back then, the requirements, the gear, etc.
The type of people that got involved, etc.
I find it fascinating.
Just with my very limited knowledge I must say, Wow! how diving has changed, in all aspects.

Welcome to the board!!
I would love to hear stories about how training was back then, the requirements, the gear, etc.
The type of people that got involved, etc.
I find it fascinating.
Just with my very limited knowledge I must say, Wow! how diving has changed, in all aspects.
Thank you for your comments. I am not sure how the system works but it appears than my profile is truncated. Only the introductary portion shows up when I try to review it. As aresult I am going to take this opportunity to publish the whole text and if members wish to ask questions related to my profile I will gladly respond.

I fall into the “Pioneer” category of SCUBA Diver.

I joined the Scottish Sub-Aqua Club (ScotSAC) ln its infancy and took my first SCUBA lesson in December 1954 at the age of 13. I qualified as Diver 3rd Class in early 1955 and was made a Training Officer in 1956.

Other than the very basics (fins, mask, snorkel, twin hose regulator and tank), non-commercial diving equipment was difficult to come by. Surplus WWII equipment was one source, For example submarine escape suits were often used for cold water protection. Cumbersome and leaky they served the purpose. Hard- hat diving equipment was adapted and utilized whenever possible; my first dive knife was made by Siebe Gorman and came in a heavy brass sheath. Weight belts were homemade; an airplane seat belt and hand poured lead weights.

In 1961 I was instrumental in establishing the 2nd branch of ScotSAC in Clydebank, Scotland, taking on the role of Chief Training Officer as well as other executive duties.

As a member of the ScotSAC Diving Officers Committee, I was involved in developing the training and qualification standards for the various categories of diver created within ScotSAC.

In 1968, after immigrating to Canada, I was asked to take over the training being provided by the St. Lawrence Seaway Divers, of a group of geology and biology students who were to take part in a Brock University field trip to Trinidad and Tobago in early 1969; and to act as Dive Master for the underwater activities to be conducted out of Speyside, Tobago.

After setting up a training course for the students. I became involved in the formation of the Ontario Provincial Police and St. Catharine’s City Police Underwater Search & Rescue Units.

After the successful field trip in 1969, I founded the Brock University SCUBA Club to meet the demands of students and to prepare for a second field trip to Tobago set for 1971.

The Club’s training course was designed with the ScotSAC standards as its base and enhanced with advanced training relevant to safety and emergency protocols and ran for a full semester. By necessity most open-water check-outs were carried out in the Niagara River in late winter and early spring. Shortly after the ice booms at Lake Erie were removed each spring; completion of the training course was celebrated by competing in a five member team ice-flow race down the upper Niagara River ending less than a mile above the horseshoe falls. The Club also sported a reasonably successful underwater hockey team

By successfully completing the course, students proved themselves able to handle themselves in harsh, almost black-out, conditions and reached a level of training and knowledge comparable to that expected of Instructor certification candidates.

To provide international recognition and enable the Club to offer both ACUC and NAUI Certification, I certified as an ACUC instructor in 1970 (#154 EA) and as a NAUI Instructor in 1971 (#2521). Five Club members trained by me attained ACUC Instructor Certification in 1971 to complete my team of instructors.

Shortly after certification I was asked by Ben Davis (NAUI 101) and Steve Kozak (NAUI 104) to join the staff of, and critique, the first Hart House Instructor Evaluation Seminar in late 1971.

In 1974 I accepted a position in the Bahamas and for the next two years assisted a local NAUI instructor in a variety of courses including night diving, wall diving and underwater navigation. During that time I became an avid spear fisherman, supplying my family and friends with fish and spiny lobster. It should be noted that the use of SCUBA and spear guns was prohibited in the Bahamas. I became very proficient in the use of the Hawaiian sling and hunting at depths of between 30-60 feet while holding my breath.

I was also a member of BASRA (Bahamas Air & Sea Rescue Association) while I was there.

After my two year contract expired I relocated to Calgary, Alberta. The international travel required in my new position made it impossible to set any kind of teaching schedule to which I could commit. Reluctantly I changed my instructor status to “inactive” in late 1976.

Since then I have maintained “Instructor Emeritus” status with NAUI and restricted my diving to vacation times.

Since then I have maintained “Instructor Emeritus” status with NAUI and restricted my diving to vacation times.
What's your NAUI number??? @Akimbo have you read this?

@Akimbo have you read this?

I'm not even close to @Mantaray95616. I was certified at age 11 in 1962, 62 years ago. Here's my story:

I'm in awe with both of you. I've been diving since 1969, but only certified since the beginning of this century.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom