Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geo85

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Forgive if this is the wrong place - I'm a first time poster.

I'm going to Central America with my girlfriend during late November/early December.
We want to go Scuba Diving for between 5 - 10 days & we're looking for recommendations.

I have my advanced open water diving license but she's a total novice - she went once for an introductory dive - but she's looking for her open water license. I love wreck dives but am honestly not a huge fan of coral reefs (though I'll still do it). I haven't seen much aquatic life but certainly wouldn't mind. Stuff to do besides diving is great (hikes, Spanish lessons, cycling, surfing, etc...).

Places I'm considering:
- Tortuga Islands; Costa Rica
- Roatan; Honduras
- Corn Islands & vicinity; Nicaragua
- Coiba Island; Panama
- Blue Hole; Belize

Roatan is my preferred at the moment since I've heard there's a ton of other activities. Nicaragua is a good fit geographically with our other plans. I've considered starting at the Blue Hole and moving down to Roatan (vice versa is not possible for us); but I'm worried I wouldn't really get to do my rescue diver course. Likewise I've thought about the same thing - starting in Coiba Island in Panama and moving up to Tortuga in C.R. - but the same concern hits me if it'll give me to time to do my Rescue license (&& again going C.R. to Panama isn't feasible).

I've heard all places are amazing - especially Coiba. I've heard Roatan is the least good but has the most 'extra' activities. I really have no info about diving Atlantic Nicaragua - any info is appreciated. I'm open to other places as well. I like mountainous places (often because they're a little cooler) so Roatan seems good. I'm worried that Belize only has that 1 dive and then you've seen all there is to offer. Like everyone I prefer cheaper but don't mind paying more if it's better quality dives. For example the price difference between Honduras and Belize I'm fine with IF indeed Belize is so much nicer.

I've done what's 'supposedly' (re. marketed) as reefs in Dominican Republic(Boca Chica), Philippines (Palawan), and Cuba (Matanzas). I wasn't really impressed with any of it except Palawan. And in Palawan I was more impressed with the wreck diving vs any of the reefs. Maybe I was just unlucky at these places - but I've become interested more in wrecks, cliffs, night dives, and animals etc... But if everyone insists Roatan is one of those places where if I go & I'm not impressed with what I see - I'll never be impressed - then maybe I should give it a shot. But I'd be much more enticed if there were wrecks, cliffs, etc... as well...

Can anyone suggest/recommend/comment on the places mentioned or other places that are possible?
Anyone who can compare two or more of the places mentioned?
Anyone have anything to say about Atlantic Nicaragua?
Anyone can recommend any other places?
Any other comments in general?

All info is appreciated in advance!

There's very little to do on Little Corn other than dive, eat and relax. For me, that's a huge draw, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

Coiba Island is a beautiful place, but there's even less to do there, while you're on the island itself. If you combine that trip with some days before and/or after in Santa Catalina, you can enjoy some surfing and other activities. I highly recommend Coiba Dive Center and they can probably point you toward finding things to do in Santa Catalina. Spend a few days in Panama City if you do that trip, as well. LOTS to see and do there.

Roatan does sound like a good fit for you right now. Belize would also be good. Have you looked at Hamanasi in Belize? I haven't been, but it's working it's way up the short list.

HI! Thanks a lot! That's some good info.
It seems like you've dived most - maybe all of those places you mentioned. In terms of the diving only - is there one that sticks out more than the others?
I think it's coming down to Corn Islands or Roatan - so I suppose my main question to you is one of those significantly better vs the other?

I've been to Panama City; loved it - but no real intention of returning.

Thanks so much!

Don't forget Roatan's sister island, Utila. I took the Rescue diver course on Utila as part of a Central American / Mexican dive safari.

Roatan is my preferred at the moment since I've heard there's a ton of other activities.

I'm not sure what those are, but we stayed on the "other side" of the island and only visited what passes for "town" briefly. If you're interested in driving around, hiking in parks etc., Costa Rica is probably a better option. It's more expensive though.

If you end up on the North Pacific coast of Costa Rica, the dives at Catalinas Islands, Bat Islands, as well as some of the more local dives are very good.

Bats and Cats are a crap shoot, though: they're long and relatively expensive trips, and the main attractions are not guaranteed to show up for you. They certainly didn't for us.

Local dives are good but I like reefs on the Caribbean side better: clearer water, more colour, no cold surges to knock air out of you... Purely for diving I'd take Roatan over Guanacaste any day.

I think it's coming down to Corn Islands or Roatan - so I suppose my main question to you is one of those significantly better vs the other?

That's an essay answer, lol.

I'm in love with Little Corn (and the Colombian cousin, Providencia) because they're small, quaint, difficult to get to, and have a very slow pace of life. Both, but especially Little Corn, offer a glimpse of the Caribbean as it was 40 years ago. The islands in that region will change dramatically once the Chinese finish their canal through Nicaragua, so if you want to see them, go sooner rather than later. If you put my feet to the fire on the diving though, I'd probably call it enjoyable, but not spectacular.

I've been to Roatan several times and never had a bad time. That said, I probably won't be back because the cruise ships and vacation housers have settled in. It's just not what I'm looking for these days. But, with those changes come more opportunities for top side activities - zip lines, horseback riding, etc. As far as diving goes, there's more variety in Roatan - more dive sites to choose from, they have an artificial reef (wreck), an open water dolphin dive (still one of my most memorable dives ever), organized shark dives. I have several good friends who are active, long-term divers who love going back there year after year.

Based on what I heard you say your parameters were, I'd say Roatan will have more to keep both of you happy on this trip.

I have heard good things about Utila from people whose opinions I trust, just don't know much about it personally.

The good news is you can always go see the other places another time. That's the great thing about diving, you keep hearing about places that you might never have even known about otherwise.

No matter what, you're going to have a great trip!

@Geo85

If you end up on the North Pacific coast of Costa Rica, the dives at Catalinas Islands, Bat Islands, as well as some of the more local dives are very good.

+1! The local dives would be really good to do for the OP. Bats and Cats are really good and worth the trek out there; however, Catalinas and Bat Islands are not easy dives. I don't think it would be a huge issue for @Geo85 but for someone like his girlfriend who will just be newly certified, it isn't ideal. When I was out at Cats, it was pretty rough - the swells were really large. It was negative entry and quick descent with some surge in areas and pretty strong current and swells in the middle and the top of the water column, respectively. I had one swell take me up about 15 feet in one go and my dive computer was freaking out on me. We also had to do a blue water safety stop so good buoyancy was needed. With all of that action, I almost fed the fish on my safety stop but thankfully, kept it together.

The sharks were great to see and the gigantic manta rays at Bats were jaw-dropping incredible. We had 15-20 ft manta rays around us. It was amazing! Some other things that you might see are schools of rays, bull sharks, etc.

If you do go, I highly recommend Rocket Frog Divers. Michael, the owner, is awesome and it's a well run dive shop. They have very well taken care of boats in excellent condition and they're fast boats so you spend less time to and from and more time relaxing and in the water sooner. :)

Belize has a ton of things to do on the mainland. We usually split the trip and stay at Black Rock Lodge near San Ignacio so we can explore caves; ATM is a must. There is plenty of hiking around Mayan ruins, rivers, cave tubing, ziplining, drumming lessons, jaguar preserve, and on and on. If you stay on one of the cayes you can usually get to dive spots quickly otherwise if you stay in Placencia or Hopkins you may spend more time on the boat. That doesn't bother me since I like being on the water. I've only been to Roatan once but I didn't feel like there was much to do beyond the diving.

Coiba is not a place for a beginning diver. In fact, Scuba Coiba has a warning on their website to that effect.

Roatan -- particularly CoCo View -- would be an excellent choice for both beginning and advanced divers as well getting your Rescue certification. The staff is very good, they have the facilities (which can be hit or miss throughout most of Central America) and it's a good location.

Keep in mind that late November/early December are historically the rainiest weeks of the year throughout most of Central America.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom