Scuba Noob!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zosimus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone!
So I’m new to scuba, in fact I haven’t even completed my OW certification yet. I completed the classroom and confined water dives this past weekend, my open water dives are this coming weekend. I’m very excited to say the least. When I pass a mud puddle I have this strange urge to put on my mask and stick my face in it (just kidding, but you get where I’m coming from).

Even though I have a buddy that has been on me for years to get my OW (he currently has his Rescue), I thought it would be fun to meet new friends /dive buddies in the area. I would love to find more buddies in north Texas that like to dive often, which would be blast and great for me to further my knowledge from some of you vets out there.

My instructor is Mark Metcalf at SI Scuba in Arlington, Texas. Mark is an excellent instructor. He and his wife make the class extremely fun and love sharing stories and tidbits of information. Like I said, the open water portion of my OW certification is this weekend, and I have already signed up for Advanced. I’m sure I will be looking at some specialties and Rescue after that.

I have been looking at some beginner gear. From the looks of it, they all have decent reviews but I figured I would open it up and see what you guys think. Again, this is will be my “entry level” gear. If you have any info that you would like to share on the items I have selected, please do. Do you have some gear that you feel is the best thing since sliced bread? Share! Is there some gear or accessories you can’t stand to dive without? Share! My list below is just a barebones; I only have a few accessories. Please let me know what accessories you recommend for a beginner. Thanks for your info in advance!

Regulator = Oceanic Alpha 8 PX3 w/ DVT (We used the Alpha 8 in class and I really like it’s easy of breathing.)

Octo = Oceanic Slimline (I really like the slimline feature on this to help keep it from getting snagged and dirty. Went with Oceanic because from what I have used in class, they seem to make a quality product.)

BCD = Oceanic Ocean Pro (Again this is what we used in class and was extremely comfortable. I was able to establish buoyancy very quick and with ease.)

Wetsuit = Henderson 3MM Neoprene Once Piece Jumpsuit (We used Henderson shorties in class. Most of my diving will be in lakes in Texas. Other than the trips to Grand Cayman and Cozumel that we already have planned/paid for and are sure to schedule more in the future.)

Computer/Console = Oceanic VEO 100NX Combo(again trusting Oceanic... and seems to have really good reviews for entry level computer)

So that is the start to my list. I already have my personal (snorkel) gear. Thanks guys and see you at the bottom!

Hey and welcome to the board from the NC side of the house. Get your cert and then try to test out as many different pieces of equipment as possible. Most that buy real fast....replace real fast.

Back
Top Bottom