Scuba Masks meet ANSI Z871 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dittrimd

Force Fin Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Someone asked me a good question the other day and I did not have a clue. Does anyone know if any scuba masks meet the ANSI Z871 spec for safety glasses? The questioned centered around our divers doing work on the surface that would normally require safety glasses. If someone made a mask that met the standards they could just use their mask. I did do some search but did not find anything.

Thanks

Mark D.

Someone asked me a good question the other day and I did not have a clue. Does anyone know if any scuba masks meet the ANSI Z871 spec for safety glasses? The questioned centered around our divers doing work on the surface that would normally require safety glasses. If someone made a mask that met the standards they could just use their mask. I did do some search but did not find anything.

Thanks

Mark D.

I havn't found anything showing the masks meet the spec. I doubt if they do.
The problem I see with usings the masks for surface work would be...
#1 If you are using full face (probably not) way to much weight hanging on the front of your head.
#2 With a standard mask you would not be able to breath from your nose..(yes I know you still gotta a mouth). But try it, its awkward "having" to breath just from your mouth. I also think fogging may become an issue with a little exersion.

Besides you don't want to look too goofy.

Thanks for the reply Dan.

It is strange that you mentioned full face masks becuase initially I was only thinking about the standard mask. I dive the AGA mask and their fire fighting version is considered to be protective eye wear. So are the standard cartrige non air supplied full face mask. So maybe the Diving AGA would be considered eye protection as well. I will look into that.

I was just thinking about all the hazards we face a PS Divers and the chances of us striking any object like rebar, stick, car antenna etc is a possibility. Anything that could be small enough to penetrate the mask and then impact our eye. I will keep looking. I was considering writing to some of the big mask manufacturers to see what they test for.

Mark D.

It's highly unlikely that a glass mask lense would pass the requirements of the ANZI Z871 testing. Most will shatter on impact, especially if the impacting object is pointed. All you fire and auto crash rescue guys know about teh windon and the center punch effect. I have yet to see a plastic SCUBA mask other than the AGA face plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom