Scuba mask vs Snorkel mask - is there a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archiebald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, first post here...
Been snorkelling a bit over the years and last year did my first couple of guided dives in Malaysia. I'm going back there this year to do my Open Water certificate with a PADI resort. Already passed the online course, can't wait for the summer holiday!!

Now the question. I will be using the resort gear, but may take my own mask / snorkel which I am comfortable with. The mask is an AQA single lens model that I bought for snorkelling a couple of years ago. It fits very nicely and is in good condition. Is this going to be suitable for diving to 12~18 meters? Is there something vastly different in the specs? Could it be dangerous to use for scuba?

Thanks in advance.

There are different standards of 'snorkelling' mask. AQA makes good quality masks, which should be suitable for scuba diving. Most importantly, it has a tempered glass lens. The small volume helps mask clearing too.

Generally speaking, the difference between a snorkelling mask and a scuba mask is one is attached to a person with a tank on his back, and the other isn't.

Generally speaking, the difference between a snorkelling mask and a scuba mask is one is attached to a person with a tank on his back, and the other isn't.

Not every snorkelling mask is made to a sufficiently high specification, that would allow use for scuba diving. The main difference being the quality of glass used. The AQA masks are rated for depth; whether advertised as scuba, snorkelling or free-diving masks.

Thanks for the replies.

I understand the point about glass strength and naturally I would rather err on the side of caution, but thinking about it, if there were sufficient pressure to cause a problem with the glass then wouldn't I be feeling that as a mask squeeze?

Once I am equalized, then I'm guessing that there will be little or no pressure on the glass. Or am I missing something?

(noobie looking to learn)

I think the biggest issue with tempered glass, is that it is simply stronger and made to more stringent standards. Less likely to develop a fault/crack etc... that could then lead to a failure underwater. Whilst the pressure differential should be roughly equal inside and outside of the mask.. a rupture would still lead to a fairly dramatic event...especially given that the mask is covering your eyes.

The pressure on the glass should be enough to keep the mask on and not much more. So no, you won't need a one inch glass.

If it shatters however (cracks due to an impact in water or prior to the dive), you will want it to do it nicely.

"The brittle nature of tempered glass causes it to shatter into small oval-shaped pebbles when broken. This eliminates the danger of sharp edges." Source: What is Tempered Glass?

The point of tempered glass is that it doesn't "shatter" when it does break. It cracks but maintains some semblance of its original shape unless further stresses are put on it, then it will break into small oval pieces as Subcooled's link suggests.

Think of a car windshield and how it "spider cracks" but doesn't break. Or if something goes through it, it doesn't shatter over the entire pane of glass but only in a localized area.

Does this means that mask with tempered glass is meant for diving? I Found this mask for almost 20 dollars and saleman said it's for diving, Although It is cressi, I don't trust him so much. How can I make sure, would it have some thing written on it or on booklet etc?

Thank you.

A salesman in Dubai would sell you his granny and claim she was a virgin ..... buy your mask from a reputable dive shop .... if you can find one in Dubai, they do exist though :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom