Scuba Magazine Subscriptions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjdc1

Contributor
Reaction score
I currently subscribe to Diver Training Magazine and
Sport Diver.

Any one else have subscriptions going.

How long do you keep the magazine before thowing them out; or have you kept them all.

Just wondering.

P.

I know a lot here do not like Rodelles for one reason or another but it is enjoyable to me and I look forward to it each month. To me it is like going to a poor quality comedy movie and sitting back and going with the flow. I don't expect to much in quality nor intellectual stimulation but is just fun and is good entertainment.

SterlingDiver

one thing i have noticed about Diver Tng....it has gone advert crazy.

in my last issue there were 106 numbered pages. Out of those pages were only 46....and i was generous on a couple...pages that had nothing in the way of advertisements.

Now I am stuck here in korea for 90 days so i can not get to my old issue of Div Tng but i remember this mag being the one that had like zip adverts...

is it a sign of the times.....or is my old memory just off again

I only get Dive Training - I keep them around a couple months then I chuck them. Never one to save things!

I take Diver Training...but refresh my memory....didnt it used to have very little or next to no adverts in it???

I got my last issue and out of 106 pages....only 46 had no adverts on it and i think i was very generous with a page or two.

I hang on to all my mags until lost in a move or just fall apart.

I buy all the dive mags I can get my hands on. I enjoy reading a variety of articles and I also like the advertisements for various dive locations. But most magazines seem to have a lot of fluff and don't say anything critical about anything or anybody.

I just subscribed to Undercurrent (a newsletter) which doesn't appear to have any advertisements and seems to give relatively unbiased advise on a variety of subjects. If there are problems out there with dive equipment, dive operators, insurance, etc. its nice to have someplace to get that information and Undercurrent seems to address such issues.

I paid $9.99 to subscribe for one month online. If I like it I will subscribe for longer.

I buy all the dive mags I can get my hands on. I enjoy reading a variety of articles and I also like the advertisements for various dive locations.
Just wait, after a year or so you will see the same articles over and over. Slightly different of course, but the same equipment reviews, the same (almost exclusively) Caribbean dive resorts reviewed, etc.

Scubadiving magazine in particular is blatant in it's pandering to the east coast vacation diver with the usual Caribb dive resort stuff, and constantly exhorting them to buy the year's newest equipment. I dropped all of them.

I'm sure your right. It probably will only take a few months. Most of the magazines seem to just be advertising and the equipment reviews don't seem to be very critical. The folks who post on this board give better equipment reviews. I'm just now getting back into diving and am still enjoying the magazines. Based on the posts I've seen here I'm going to look at the DAN magazine.

I've subscribed to a range of mags over the years, and dropped all but one of them. Too many adds, too many "less than unbiased" gear reviews, and too much repetition led me to drop most of them.

I still subscribe to Diver Magazine. It's quite a bit different then most diving mags - no gear reviews, an eclectic range of dive site reviews (rarely featuring resorts), lots of interviews with well-known underwater photographs and other well-known people in the dive industry, the odd DIY account. But the things which really attract me to the mag is that many of the articles are not written by staff, but rather by outside contributers, making the mag a lot more diverse in what it covers then most. That, and there is lots of really nice photos.

Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom