Scuba Junkie Komodo and Scuba Junkie Sangalaki in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilympt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I have never been to nor dive in SEA and am looking for a reasonable priced dive vacation with my kids (17 & 19). Read some good review on Scuba Junkie Komodo (nothing for Sangalaki) and their price seems very reasonable. Is July a good time to go diving in either of these location (what about August)? My daughter wants to see big animal (shark, manta, etc) and my son wants to see macro stuff so I am hoping to look for somewhere that has a chance for both. Someone mentioned July is not a good time to go to Komodo for manta, true? Looking at the travel instruction, SJ Sangalaki seems to be hard to travel to and from or at least more so than Komodo.

Oh, we will be travelling from Ontario Canada so I know we will be travelling at least 2 days just to get to these incredible dive location.

Thanks in advance for any comments on the locations, things to see or travel tips

Dan,

Last edited:
Yep, Komodo is better choice.

Usually I fly to / from Denpasar, Bali & spend 2 weeks (16 days including the 3 weekends) and include diving in Tulamben for macro & Nusa Penida for the big fish (mantas & mola-mola).

SJ komodo is a good choice, although sangalaki looks like it might be more sharky. saw a decent amount of mantas in komodo, but only a few white tips. they have added air con since I was there. i would pick up some snacks in town as the menu gets a bit monotonous.

Komodo is a perfect balance of pelagic and macro life. It should make both your children happy! For the easiest travel option, you can even find liveaboards to Komodo that depart and return to Bali. This is what we do for example. Whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed as Indonesia has absolutely stunning diving!

SJ Sangalaki(the resort in on Derawan rather than Sangalaki) vs SJ Komodo
Both places offer good diving. Hard to say which is better. However, Derawan has whaleshark interaction(snorkeling only).
SJ Komodo offers higher level of comfort especially the dive boat which Sangalaki's boat is lacking. It has proper "head" and ample space to stretch out and got roasted!

Getting there is half the fun.
SJ Komodo is dead easy and straight forward to get to and FREE as long as you arrive at their office in Labuan Bajo before the transfer boat leaves at 14:30 everyday.
SJ Sangalaki: you either fly into Berau(expensive) or through Tarakan first. Then you have to endue long transfer by boat(Tarakan) or car and boat(Berau). The only FREE transfer is available on Mon for Tarakan.

Everyone was amazed to see turtles swimming outside their rooms regularly in SJ Sangalaki.

Thanks for all the great reply so far. I am leaning more towards Komodo as the children (well shouldn't call them children anymore as they are 18 and 17) seems to like it more.

Any comment for Komodo on July?

I have been booking Carabbean dive trips on my own forever but since this is my first time travelling to SEA, could someone recommend a good dive travel agent so they can book all the flights and hotel (seems like I will have to get a hotel in Bali both way due to flight and transfer) for me and I only have to deal with a single contact if there is a problem instead of several airlines and hotels

Sangalaki logistic will be tougher and longer than Komodo. Komodo will be a much easier option if you don't want to deal with additional flights and long haul in the car.

I stayed with Tasik Ria in Derawan years ago before it burned down. I had to take an early morning flight from Singapore to Balikpapan. Then another flight from Balikpapan to Berau. By the time I got my gears and got into the car, it was about 16:30. The car trip from Berau airport to jetty was about 4 hours depending on road condition (I'd assume it is much improved now). From the jetty, it was another 45 min boat ride to Derawan and it was close to 21:30 by the time I got to Derawan.

The Tarakan airport just opened couple of years ago, I will probably consider that option next time I go there.

Logistic is a pain in the neck but with that said, diving at Derawan, Sangalaki, and Maratua is absolutely awesome!

Thanks for all the great reply so far. I am leaning more towards Komodo as the children (well shouldn't call them children anymore as they are 18 and 17) seems to like it more.

Any comment for Komodo on July?

I have been booking Carabbean dive trips on my own forever but since this is my first time travelling to SEA, could someone recommend a good dive travel agent so they can book all the flights and hotel (seems like I will have to get a hotel in Bali both way due to flight and transfer) for me and I only have to deal with a single contact if there is a problem instead of several airlines and hotels
July is high season in Komodo. It is a busy but great time when the weather is usually sunny. Note that it can sometimes be windy, making some small boat rides a bit choppier in certain areas, but nothing that would prevent diving. It also means that the temperatures are more bearable for those not used to the heat and nice cool evenings.

I forgot to ask, what is the water and land temp in July in Komodo?

So I have decided to go to SJ Komodo but as this is high season, they only have 7D/6N left. Since we are travelling so far, I want to extend our stay for a few more days in either Bali or Lubuan. I am thinking that since I have already dive in Komodo, I should do Bali diving Nusa Pandia? Any recommended dive shop or must dive sites? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom