Scuba Instructor recommendations, Portland OR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've finally convinced my wife to get her OW certification (she'll be a warm water wimp) and am looking for recommendations for a local instructor. This would be for the classroom and confined water portions only. Where I'd like to have her complete her certification is NAUI and PADI, but I may be able to arrange OW dive certification from other agencies.

I'm not locked on either PADI or NAUI (both have standards I don't necessarily agree with) and her preference is for private lessons and a woman instructor.

Suggestions are most appreciated

I did mine through Pacific Watersports in Aloha. Laurie owns the shop, and is a fantastic woman to work with. The actual instructor was Tim Carver with a few assistants. Highly recommend. The one caveat - they do their pool dives out in Forest Grove.

@Peter Guy may still be teaching. He'd be worth getting a hold of if she'd be open to a male instructor though I'm not sure he's still teaching anymore.

I don't know of Mel Clark teaches at the OW level anymore, but if she doesn't, she would certainly know of the best female instructors in that area and would be 100% worth contacting

I did mine through Pacific Watersports in Aloha. Laurie owns the shop, and is a fantastic woman to work with. The actual instructor was Tim Carver with a few assistants. Highly recommend. The one caveat - they do their pool dives out in Forest Grove.

This sounds like a good choice (local is better for OW, IMO). I wouldn't sweat the pool dives location if it means more pool time. In my area, pool time in Bellevue is twice as expensive than in Everett.

Peter Rothschild (PeterGuy) has retired from teaching, but not before sharing a number of tricks with me. Agreed that Mel would be a good resource to contact for other good options in the Portland area.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to add - I know Laurie does private lessons. You'd need to contact her for details though.

Kosta -- I'm not quite retired from teaching (have a couple of private students right now) but I am not actively soliciting students. I moved to Olympia and have sold a lot of my student gear.

Kosta -- I'm not quite retired from teaching (have a couple of private students right now) but I am not actively soliciting students. I moved to Olympia and have sold a lot of my student gear.
Peter,

Sorry for the misinformation. I thought you had told me you were letting your teaching status lapse. My apologies.

In addition to Pacific Watersports in Aloha, OR- I can also recommend highly Under Water Works in Tigard. All academics are done at the dive shops on site classroom and all confined pool work is conducted at Tigard High School's indoor pool: Home
Disclaimer: I used to DM for Under Water Works prior to moving to So Cal and I also have strong relationships with the folks at Pacific Watersports. Both are the best in Portland and its suburbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom