Scuba in Phillippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm heading to the Phillippines mid-Dec & am really wanting to know what parts are not worth my travelling a day to get to....either coz of bad vis after the typhoon or over crowding coz of the holidays.

I'm intending to head out to the Batangas, Anilao, P. Galera & Palawan....hmmmm...unless anyone has any other suggestions on good sites?

Last time I was in the Phillippines, it was Easter Week & travelling was crazy...booked! Full! No more rooms?! etc, etc, etc.....Can anyone shed some light on how travelling thru' X'mas & New Years will look?

lanwu:
Hi everyone,

I'm heading to the Phillippines mid-Dec & am really wanting to know what parts are not worth my travelling a day to get to....either coz of bad vis after the typhoon or over crowding coz of the holidays.

I'm intending to head out to the Batangas, Anilao, P. Galera & Palawan....hmmmm...unless anyone has any other suggestions on good sites?

Last time I was in the Phillippines, it was Easter Week & travelling was crazy...booked! Full! No more rooms?! etc, etc, etc.....Can anyone shed some light on how travelling thru' X'mas & New Years will look?
my first answer was so much better but the PC !%)(^(%)( on me and i lost it... so i'll try again

bad viz due to the typhoon is gone... unless you plan to do some river mouth diving...

crowding: now there's a problem

for a country that's serious about its christmas (longest xmas celebration in the world) and about family ties, it's amazing that xmas is a peak season for beaches and resorts!

i'd stay far away from boracay during this time as it's choked with divers and non-divers alike...

PG you'll have to check with individual resorts... the sabang/lalaguna dive areas i think would be pretty booked with divers too, but check first... the white beach area is kind of like a mini boracay so you'll have regular folks to contend with too for space

palawan sounds like a great idea... also the off-track places like bohol, dumaguete and leyte... also mindanao like camiguin or sarangani... they're not as commercialized as most others so it'll probably be blissfully (relatively) peaceful

then there's anilao... the weekends ought to be pretty tight with divers, but check resorts because the weekday scheds might just be quiet enough for you

hope it helps!

Jag

Shugar, thanks for the info....

When does the Xmas holidays generally start for everyone? Is it different for students & working people?

I take it though that if i pre-book everything, then I should be okay??

hi,
If youre planning to go to Anilao, now is the best time. The resorts not crowded.
People are buying christmas presents and busy attending parties so just a few go diving. Best dive sites to go in Anilao. " mainit Point"- good current diving with schools of jacks and barracuda and sharks also some large groupers at 100- 80ft. ." Bahurang Bahura". Shallow dive at "dive N Trek". also shallow dive at Twin rocks. These sites have plenty of fish population unlike other sites I think. I always dive these spots. U/W temp, is around 23-27 degrees celsius.
visibility is good now adays. always dive Anilao after a storm. And fishes are usually abundant.

Hi G, thanks for the info. Any suggestions or opinions on Dive Shops to dive w/?

How about shore diving?

I heard that there's quite a few good places to do this around the Anilao area? IS that true?

What about other areas in Philippines? Anyone know?

lanwu:
Shugar, thanks for the info....

When does the Xmas holidays generally start for everyone? Is it different for students & working people?

I take it though that if i pre-book everything, then I should be okay??

Yes, Christmas in the Philippines starts around June...and never ends I think?? At least thats how some folks feel when they return home to the RP, playing St. Nick all year long!

Kidding aside, the Philippines has the longest Christmas season of any country in Asia or the world for that matter. The Philippines is Christmas, being the largest Christian nation in Asia. My favorite time of year to visit the RP, above water, is Christmas time.

Book early, I spent a few days sleeping on a lawn chair, by the beach at Bohol Beach Club...a day after Christmas! The place was over booked! They had people sleeping in the rec. room and shower areas. Wait a minute...sleeping on some of the best Philippine beaches in the world? Life cannot get any better than that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom