Scuba in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asmfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys in May I am going to Cancun for a destination wedding so I am going to go down a few days early for some diving. I am currently looking at Manta Divers and Aqua World. If anyone has any recommendations i would appreciate it.

I only did one morning of diving while in Cancun, but I was impressed. I did one of the wrecks, the C-55 I think, altho the C-58 is more composed and probably better (these are advanced dives, high current). In winter, so lots of Eagle Rays were there. Second dive was the reef generally done as the 2nd dive - I think its name is "No Name Reef". Tons of life on that reef - it was the highlight of my trip - I highly recommend the reef.

I dove w scuba diving cancun, and they we good. It was a smaller boat than I was used to - backroll off the side, removable ladder on the side, but it was good.

Years ago, my brother and I both worked for Aqua-world, so we were intimately familiar with all of Cancun's 'reefs'. Most of the reefs are kinda 'blah", and on a flat bottom in the 30-60 ft range, with high current, so it's not uncommon to get dropped and miss all or most of the actual reef. Once I discovered Cozumel, and the cenotes down around Playa, that was all she wrote !! I moved to Cozumel within a year, got cave certified, yadda,yadda ! Those two wrecks mentioned above sound interesting, (they came after i'd left, but I used to dive a lot on the C-## wreck in Cozumel), so those should be interesting dives. Other than that, I wouldn't waste a lot of time or money diving Cancun, with so much better diving just a little south of there. I'd take the above advice and run down to Playa and do some cenotes, it's like taking a trip into outer space !!
Unless things have changed, Aqua-world is the king of the cattleboats ! (this isn't really the place, i guess, but i could tell you a few stories about Aqua-world, LOL!!) :wink:

Hop the Ado bus to Playa for $10-$12 and dive cenotes or reefs with Cenote Xperience. Absolutely one of the best dive shops I have ever seen! I have a couple of reviews on Scubaboard from our last trips.

CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

Safe travels,
Jay

+1 for CenoteXperience. Had a great experience diving Dos Ojos with them. They also do ocean dives. They have their act together and are super nice. I will go with them again for sure.

Spent a couple months in Cancun this winter. The diving is better than expected. Not Cozumel for, for sure, but with doing if you are there.

Can't say I love cenote diving. Worth doing once, but there is no life to look at. I am basically a "pretty fish and turtles" diver. Cancun was good for that this past November/December.

The coral structures are nothing to write home about, but lots of fish, some turtles, some rays.

If you can swing it, go to cozumel. Its a bus ride and a ferry away. Others can correct me if I'm wrong but probably only a 2-3 hour trip from cancun. Diving in cozumel is spectacular. I stayed at iberostar and dove with Dressel Divers. Busy shop but they take good care of you.

If you can't get to cozumel, cancun is still good diving. Remember, "a bad day diving beats a good day of working." If you dive cancun, I recommend Solo Buceo

One of the best reefs been on is just off Can Cun plus short ferry ride to Isla Mujeres another fav dive site with underwater museum and a fast drift around the point.

We just got back from a dive trip to Cancun, yes Cancun...and dove the outer reefs off Isla Mujeres, had an incredible day of Cenote diving, and did several great drift dives off Cozumel (direct from mainland, no ferry). After much research, we dove with Coconut Divers located near the older part of the Hotel Zone and I can't say enough good things about them, great communication, super friendly, safe and knowledgeable. We have all of our own gear, but with bag fees and the hassle, we packed basic carry-on and dove their gear, except masks, and everything worked fine... something to be said about letting someone else organize and maintain your gear while on vacation. They also provide transportation to Cenote and Coz diving, although you dive with their subcontractor out of Playa, who was great as well. We plan to get to Coz in the future, but we ended up having a great dive vacation from Cancun anyway. Would not hesitate to do it the same way, with the same operator, again in the future. Smaller boats, the most we dive with was 5 divers and 2 DMs, back roll off side, but they will pull your gear and help you getting out, if you need it. If you want bigger boats, Aquaworld looks like they pack about 40 people on there and it is probably a much slower, but more stable ride.

We just got back from a dive trip to Cancun, yes Cancun...and dove the outer reefs off Isla Mujeres, had an incredible day of Cenote diving, and did several great drift dives off Cozumel (direct from mainland, no ferry). After much research, we dove with Coconut Divers located near the older part of the Hotel Zone and I can't say enough good things about them, great communication, super friendly, safe and knowledgeable. We have all of our own gear, but with bag fees and the hassle, we packed basic carry-on and dove their gear, except masks, and everything worked fine... something to be said about letting someone else organize and maintain your gear while on vacation. They also provide transportation to Cenote and Coz diving, although you dive with their subcontractor out of Playa, who was great as well. We plan to get to Coz in the future, but we ended up having a great dive vacation from Cancun anyway. Would not hesitate to do it the same way, with the same operator, again in the future. Smaller boats, the most we dive with was 5 divers and 2 DMs, back roll off side, but they will pull your gear and help you getting out, if you need it. If you want bigger boats, Aquaworld looks like they pack about 40 people on there and it is probably a much slower, but more stable ride.

Thanks for the info. I ended up diving with Aquaworld and was happy with them. I had a few issues with scheduling because the guy who arranged my trip did not know about. I arranged for 2 Nitrox 2 tanks dives but the guy who arranged it when I said 2 Nitrox he only arranged 2 tanks one for my and one for my buddy but we both did a 2 tank dive. Then we rented 2 wetsuits but they didn’t have our size. They wouldn’t give me my money back but gave us store credit which my buddy used for a try dive for his new wife.

As for the boats it was a large boat and they had 2 DM’s but there was only 4 divers on the boat. Which was nice but I think we got lucky since we schedule the deeper more advanced dive. The other boat had about 10/15 divers on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom