Trip Report Scuba Gear Suddenly Not allowed as carry on from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could see a 50+Lb. carry on setting someone off. Obviously it is well beyond a “reasonable” weight, but with three carry-ons one should be able to redistribute the load. If not, be thankful you have gotten away with doing this before with no problems.

Unfortunately, our smaller carry-ons are packed as full as they can be. Our gear, along with minimal clothing, totals around 250lbs using our personal luggage scale. To stay under the 50lb *checked* baggage weight we tend to carry-on a few of the small heavier items. I think that's fairly common for an airline passenger, yes?

Thanks for the feedback. You're correct, we not only feel fortunate to have avoided any issues thus far but also that we have the ability and time to travel as often as we like :)

We used to do that with the big lead acid can lights, etc. Stuff backplate, regs, can light, backup lights and all the heavy stuff into a backpack and wear it on and check everything else.

Checked bags under weight limit - no problem. God I hope they don't notice me straining under this backpack and ask me to weigh it.

Ha, I hear you loud and clear, O-ring. I start out every dive trip with a sore back!

Allow me to amend my earlier statement... We don't check this particular Pelican Case due to weight per se, but because it has five sets of regs, four computers, several canister lights, etc., items we'd rather not leave to the mercy of the baggage handlers.

Honestly, I've never had an airline weigh our carry-on bags.

i started to think perhaps i misunderstood the comment i quoted. but i see now i did not. there are of course different carry on rules at each airline and i do not know the particulars of your situation.

but over all to be perfectly honest, i am sick and tired of seeing people who regulary ignore baggage limits.

for carry ons, part of the reason for limits is to ensure we all have room for storing what we bring on board. why should i have to check my bag because others have taken up too much space ? (yes, this has happened to me) another reason is for safety. no one wants a 40lb pelican case flying at their head in the unlikely event the overhead compartment comes open during flight. (yes, this has happened to me)

so my humble suggestion for future travel is to only bring what is necessary. follow the carry on rules like most of us do. check the majority of your luggage and pay the required fees if necessary. maybe consider getting a credit card or joining a loyalty program that gives you benefits like one free bag for each traveller ? this may help with costs.

i started to think perhaps i misunderstood the comment i quoted. but i see now i did not. there are of course different carry on rules at each airline and i do not know the particulars of your situation.

but over all to be perfectly honest, i am sick and tired of seeing people who regulary ignore baggage limits.

for carry ons, part of the reason for limits is to ensure we all have room for storing what we bring on board. why should i have to check my bag because others have taken up too much space ? (yes, this has happened to me) another reason is for safety. no one wants a 40lb pelican case flying at their head in the unlikely event the overhead compartment comes open during flight. (yes, this has happened to me)

so my humble suggestion for future travel is to only bring what is necessary. follow the carry on rules like most of us do. check the majority of your luggage and pay the required fees if necessary. maybe consider getting a credit card or joining a loyalty program that gives you benefits like one free bag for each traveller ? this may help with costs.

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

I'm not sure how our cautionary "Trip Report" devolved into a discussion about carry-on weight limits. Though it certainly may pertain to others, I have never flown an airline that listed *weight* limits for carry-on. American, which is the airline we flew to CZM this time, has limits only for *checked* baggage. The only restriction for carry-on is *size*. Additionally, I've never seen a scale in any airport security area that would be used to weigh carry-on bags.

As for your "humble suggestion" on "bring[ing] only what is necessary"... I'm not sure you are in a position to determine what is necessary for us, only what is necessary for yourself. It appears you are a tech instructor, so you are aware of the amount - and weight - of gear required for CCR diving.

Not that I need to testify on our own behalf, but we do follow all airline requirements for baggage, both checked and carry-on.

For your information and future reference, below are the carry-on requirements of the two airlines we fly. I can't knowledgeably speak to the rules of others.

Carry-on bags − Travel information − American Airlines
https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/carry-on-baggage

As for your "humble suggestion" on "bring[ing] only what is necessary"... I'm not sure you are in a position to determine what is necessary for us, only what is necessary for yourself. It appears you are a tech instructor, so you are aware of the amount - and weight - of gear required for CCR diving.

no offense was intended. only making a couple of simple suggestions to help avoid excess baggage fees seeing as you apparently were hit with some heavy fees. many people travel with far more items than is required (maybe you don't but others do) and some are not aware of cards and programs that have baggage benefits. we only recently got a card that offers us one free checked bag for each passenger travelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom