Scuba Gear on Sun Country Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amoses

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone flown Sun Country to Cozumel? They have a strange policy for scuba gear. I was wondering if you cant just put your scuba gear in your luggage and pay the extra luggage fee? Here is there policy:

Scuba-Diving Equipment — One item of scuba diving equipment consists of: One regulator, one pressure gauge, one mask, two fins, one snorkel, one knife, one spear gun and one BC-vest (cannot contain air cartridges). The charge is $75 on all flights. These items must be placed in a container that prevents damage to the equipment.

Anyone experienced this? on American I just check my gear bag like normal and don't have to pay large fees like this.

I have flown them a couple times without issue. Once with all my stuff crammed in a carry-on and once I checked my bag. Don't ask, don't tell. My luggage is not "scuba".

I have flown them a couple times without issue. Once with all my stuff crammed in a carry-on and once I checked my bag. Don't ask, don't tell. My luggage is not "scuba".
Awesome, that is what I wanted to hear. Maybe Ill split it between the carry-on and checked luggage. I usually carry my regulators in my carry-on anyway.

I'm not in the US but my reg set & computer fly in my carry on.

Is this insured, and the $75 is meant to be for extra security and/or insurance payment? My suggestion is to ask about lost luggage and/or lost scuba reimbursement from the airline. Otherwise you are just telling the thieves where the good stuff is.

Has anyone flown Sun Country to Cozumel? They have a strange policy for scuba gear. I was wondering if you cant just put your scuba gear in your luggage and pay the extra luggage fee? Here is there policy:

Scuba-Diving Equipment — One item of scuba diving equipment consists of: One regulator, one pressure gauge, one mask, two fins, one snorkel, one knife, one spear gun and one BC-vest (cannot contain air cartridges). The charge is $75 on all flights. These items must be placed in a container that prevents damage to the equipment.

Hey, at least they allow you two fins. :D

They allow you one knife too even though you can't use it in the park.

I always fly SC airlines (love them!) and I check my dive gear in a NON diving bag. Keep it under #50lbs and no crazy high fee.

I carry my reg set and computer in my backpack/carry on bag.

Flown a dozen times with them and as long as you operate under the dont tell they wont ask policy, no issues. :)

I have one of these:

Amazon.com | EatSmart Precision Voyager Digital Luggage Scale w/ 110 lb. Capacity & SmartGrip | Luggage Scales

And I make sure none of my bags are over 49lbs. It is funny as I will double check while in line at airports before I get to counter, and will always ask if anyone else needs it and it will usually travel to the end of the line hahahaha.

Back
Top Bottom