Scuba Gamma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdelannoy

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone here used Scuba Gamma before? If so, what do you have to say about their service and the diving?:D

PD

They are just up the street, a house or two from Blue Xtc on calle 5. It is a French couple that seem to have dedicated their life to living in Cozumel and divng when they can. Most days will see them sitting on the sidewalk and smiling and occasionally they take out some customers. I have no idea what kind of boat they may have but I doubt that they are unsafe.

They seem friendly and we have no beef with such independents who might provide personalized service. I am pretty sure that they don't have gear service support or high capacity tanks-- but that may not be a big issue for many divers. My guess is that, considering their overhead, they might have very low rates, at least as the cost per tank is concerned.

My partner Memo Mendoza knows them both, and we do wish them well in the market segment that they can support.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks Judy for the link. Very nice that they cater to disabled divers....not something all ops do. That could be me except that my physio is coming along well and I'm regaininig lots of range/strength.

Boats looks nice and they seem to have lots of rental equipment.

Glad you don't have a problem (i.e. "have no beef with") with them Dave. (Although why you would, I can't possibly imagine.)

Last edited:
Having met Dave I can't imagine he often has a problem with much of anything. A more laid back guy would be hard to find. As for Gamma, looks like a group of cool people living the dream to me....good on 'em.

They are my neighbors and are very nice people! They run one boat (8 pax), cater a lot to Europeans and work hard to provide quality service to their clients.

Thanks Judy for the link. Very nice that they cater to disabled divers....not something all ops do. That could be me except that my physio is coming along well and I'm regaininig lots of range/strength.
I have a friend with a disabled son. He has MS with limited mobility, but is semi-wheelchair bound. He loves to snorkeler and has always wanted to try diving. 2yrs ago the family was vacationing in Cozumel and as a surprise, they arranged a resort course dive for the disable son, another son and themselves. They went with Scuba Gamma because of their claims of IAHD certified and experienced instructors.

The pre-trip communication was excellent and she felt great about the arrangements. When they called to reconfirm the day before, again, all was well. Since I was not there personally, I don't feel it would be fair to recap their whole experience, but I would say that if anyone chooses this shop specifically because of the information they have online about having instructors and DMs trained and experienced with disabled divers, proceed very cautiously and if on arrival you aren't being provided with exactly the services/instructor/dive master you expected, don't go ahead with your dives. When it comes to dealing with disabled divers a shop, no matter how well intentioned, should not compromise, even if it means having to reschedule or turn away a customer.

To the owners credit, she did offer to book another dive and make-good, but understandably, at that point the kid's interest and confidence (and the parent's) was gone.

I have otherwise never heard anything about this shop, seen their boat out, or read any trip reports or reviews about them. Could be that since they are French they attract a European client base and those divers aren't posting or submitting reviews/reports to sources we read.

Back
Top Bottom